GreaseSpot Cafe

The Crying God

As in dreams where we sometimes allow our minds to wander out into the open spaces of our own captivity I dreamed this dream. I was high on a hill and an angel flew down and picked me up and carried me up into the heights of heaven. I looked down on the earth and saw the valleys and the open plains and they were as a pastoral painting of such beauty and awe. They were untouched by blight and the scourge of the worlds industries.

As I neared the heavens I saw angels living in a harmonious communion. There was serenity and perfect peace among the heavenly spirits. Yet I was taken even higher to another heaven, one that was so far above all that I had ever perceived. There in this heaven sat God in a majestic throne. From without I saw radiance and a brightness of light that was both humbling and warm to my face.

I soon was at the feet of this God in such humble submission that I felt there was no need to ever leave this place of such a great and wondrous presence. I could not help myself but to look up into the face of this God. To but once stare into the eyes of God and feel God's inner sanctity.

As I looked up I noticed tears in God's eyes... They were reddened and his furrows were contorted with wrinkles and lines that witnessed of great sorrows. I was both startled and perplexed. Why was God crying?

I spoke and my words seemed to become a hollow silence as if they had no atmosphere with which to travel. My lips were dry and my heart was beating from the shock of seeing such immense power cowering and wreathing in such perceived weakness.

I managed to speak four words in a question. Why do you cry? God lifted his head and said, I cry for you... I cry that you will come to know my love. That you will seek the light and in such find it within to love your neighbor. I cry because you are crying and you hide your tears in my name... I cry and cannot cease from your pain. I have seen the hate and the bloodshed. I have seen the division and prejudice. I have seen the rage and violence and I weep for the world.

I wanted to comfort this God and to hold this God in my arms but I could sense that this would not stop the tears. This would not end this God's suffering. As long as the world continued to live in chaos and injustice that this God would continue to cry...

Somehow I was filled with love for this God. That in weakness and tenderness of heart I found respect. I drew close to this God and suddenly I began to cry. That was when the dream ended and when I awoke I had tears in my eyes and I only then knew the love of God.

I knew to look to the heart and to strive for the good of all of creation. I wanted to do something to make this God smile again... To give this God a day or a moment of peace and rejoicing. To stand again and be a shining example to the world. To live in the love of God and to feel for the people.

People have lost their ability to feel. They have become cold and hardened by this world. It is when we learn to cry that we learn compassion... Only through our compassion can the crying God smile again...

DrWearWord

Luke 3:4

As it is written in the book of the words of Esaias the prophet, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight