GreaseSpot Cafe

The Tithe

mudflaps

I still continue to tithe at the church I attend and I donate to other causes,and I enjoy doing so,but since leaving the twi I have thought alot about what they and a majority of other churches teach regarding tithing.Most teachings I have heard on tithing always end up going to Genesis 14:20 (first occurence of tithe) and Malachi 3:8-12 to show that to get above average blessings you need to give at least 10%,which I believe forces alot of people to give basically out of fear,but my thoughts are what about 2nd Corinthians 9:7 "Every man according as he purposeth in his heart,so let him give;not grudgingly,or of NECESSITY:for God loveth a cheerful giver,(no mention of 10%).I know alot of people who don't give anything to their church and their lives have tons of above average blessings.Why? Because God is good always,His being good to people does not depend on how many hoops you jump through.Myself personally I plan to give the rest of my life,I enjoy doing so,that is my freewill right,and a person who purposeth in his heart not to give that is their freewill right and I believe they also will have many above average blessings because God is good always.

God first

Beloved mudflaps

God bless you

most churches teach teach

Hebrews 7:6 But he whose descent is not counted from them received tithes of Abraham, and blessed him that had the promises.

7 And without all contradiction the less is blessed of the better.

8 And here men that die receive tithes; but there he receiveth them, of whom it is witnessed that he liveth.

Christ that lived witnessed

Hebrews 7:11 If therefore perfection were by the Levitical priesthood, (for under it the people received the law,) what further need was there that another priest should rise after the order of Melchisedec, and not be called after the order of Aaron?

12 For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.

changed of the law

13 For he of whom these things are spoken pertaineth to another tribe, of which no man gave attendance at the altar.

14 For it is evident that our Lord sprang out of Juda; of which tribe Moses spake nothing concerning priesthood.

15 And it is yet far more evident: for that after the similitude of Melchisedec there ariseth another priest,

16 Who is made, not after the law of a carnal commandment, but after the power of an endless life.

not after carnal commandment but after the power of an endless life.

thank you

with love and a holy kiss Roy

He who gives of his bread to the poor is blessed.

I don't have my Bible here right now, but I believe it is in Proverbs.

Indeed, God loves a cheerful giver.

• 4 weeks later...
I still continue to tithe at the church I attend and I donate to other causes,and I enjoy doing so,but since leaving the twi I have thought alot about what they and a majority of other churches teach regarding tithing.Most teachings I have heard on tithing always end up going to Genesis 14:20 (first occurence of tithe) and Malachi 3:8-12 to show that to get above average blessings you need to give at least 10%,which I believe forces alot of people to give basically out of fear,but my thoughts are what about 2nd Corinthians 9:7 "Every man according as he purposeth in his heart,so let him give;not grudgingly,or of NECESSITY:for God loveth a cheerful giver,(no mention of 10%).I know alot of people who don't give anything to their church and their lives have tons of above average blessings.Why? Because God is good always,His being good to people does not depend on how many hoops you jump through.Myself personally I plan to give the rest of my life,I enjoy doing so,that is my freewill right,and a person who purposeth in his heart not to give that is their freewill right and I believe they also will have many above average blessings because God is good always.

Hi mudflaps,

There is another discussion going on about the tithe - right before I post this that other thread is above yours - that addresses all your mentioned concerns. Rather nicely IMO. Check it out.

Regards,

Tom