GreaseSpot Cafe

For dmiller and banjo fans everywhere...

Ron G.

Ok...First allow me to emphatically make it known to all that I love the Banjo (Soldiers Joy is my favorite)

That being said, early in 2007 while working in the Green Zone, I got a wild hair up my...and decided to buy banjo...

Having played guitar for 35+ years (gosh, suddenly I feel old) and having my right hand finger picking patterns indelibly etched in the 2 brain cells I have remaining...I found it difficult at best to pick-up the rolls and patterns on the banjo...now before you offer suggestions, let me finish.

I was at the point after a month where it sounded like I was trying to play a song and have it recognized by others (Dueling Banjos does not count either).

I set off the "Incoming" alarm system twice for the entire Green Zone and had dogs and cats howling, my supervisor 5 miles away posted my job and the Iraqi newspaper ran an ad; "Medic and banjo for sale"

So I did what every aspiring Earl Scruggs wanna be would do and sold the dang thing...Please accept my apologies a for stepping out of my lane, maybe later? Back to the guitar

Happy Picking!

Smokey

Hey David,

I posted this for you on another thread but I don't think you ever got a chance to see it.

Whaddu you think of this guy's pickin'?

Well -- Not exactly my *style*, but he is good, and did seem to be an accomplished picker. :)

I could've done with a little less drums in there, but maybe that's part of the genre, eh?

You find *class* in every musical society/ nationality/ style/ etc., even if one isn't really used to it.

For what it's worth --- there is a HUGE debate going on now about who is the fastest banjo picker in the world.

Johnny Butten of Great Britain, or Todd Taylor of the United States for the Guinness world record..

Ironically --- No one ever thought to invite Raymond Fairchild, who could (easily) hand

both those boys their @$$ in a sling, when it comes to speed. :)

Edited by dmiller