GreaseSpot Cafe

My personal foray in Windows 7 64 bit

mchud11

Well, its installed. The journey began with buying a 1T hard drive. I used ImgBurn to basically just burn the .ISO from Microsoft. Install was flawless, maybe taking, 15 minutes. I have like a duo core 2.66gigahertz...whatever. So, I got back a bit of memory, instead of the limitations of 32bit Vista, not being able to use all 4gig of memory, the 64 bit version can use it, but it sort of reserves around 800meg of memory, for its own use, basically it looks like the idea of rather than paging code not needed, on disc, Windows 7, kinda of borrows and reserves some physical memory. I may find out how to adjust that memory reserve.

But things work pretty fast. And the interface, what I see feels solid, substantial. The downside, so far, is another upgrade on my sound card, I have a PCI card. So, its back to Computer Depot or somewhere for a PCI express card. The 64 bit driver for Vista works fine on the video side, I have a cheap ATI, no problems. So, for high end graphics, it looks like I need to wait a bit, microsofts media player doesn't do .mkv files and there isn't a player out there like kmplayer or vlc player that is ready...but I will be looking.

see if the smplayer will work on w7

it plays .mkv files

http://smplayer.sourceforge.net/

Thanks CMAN, thanks a lot. Yes I installed smplayer and the additional codecs, it comes right up with no problems: .x264.mkv files. I still have to replace my audio card, from a pci to a pci-express...it looks like on that I need to spend 149.00, that gets me up to 92khz, maybe I will go up to 169.00 or 179.00 and pop it up to 192khz (the native bluray sampling rate), I got to look at my budget....but hey, thanks for the advice, looks great, feels like it is running smoother than on vista 32 bit. I may pass this on to the forum on microsoft....kmplayer just didn't do it...regards, michael

• 1 month later...
Can you install any 32 bit apps on it? (Windows and/or DOS even)

I can't comment on Windows 7, but I am running 64-bit Vista and you can install most 32-bit apps. The main difference is that the 64-bit specific apps will have better performance because of the architecture, but the older apps run perfectly fine. I've even installed a few games like Grand Theft Auto Vice City, Diablo II, Unreal Tournament, etc. that all run fine. The only app I haven't been able to install was Adobe Photoshop, which is a pain because it's pretty expensive and I don't want to have to go out and buy a newer version. I imagine Windows 7 works similarly, so there will be apps that can't be installed.