GreaseSpot Cafe

There's No Place Like Home

WhiteDove

The Topeka born progressive rock band will be filming a DVD at White Concert hall tonight backed by a full symphony orchestra. Commemorating the 35th anniversary of the release of the self titled debut album Kansas. Special gusts will include returning founding members and former band members. Also featured will be the use of the concert halls grand old pipe organ. Kansas long ago abandoned the Hammond B3 organ with the Leslie due to it's moving weight on tour. In my opinion they never were able to reproduce that signature sound since then. That old pipe organ is in for a ride when Steve Walsh takes the keyboard tonight. This should be an awesome show with the backing of the full symphony and the pipe organ.

Got to rock on, you wayward sons........

Got To Rock On

It's no fun hanging around winter seems so numbing

Getting fat where I sit down do you suppose it's old age coming

I get this feeling I'm no good for nothing life has led me wrong

Once in a while it makes it all worthwhile if I can sing this song

Got to rock on I can't be this way

I'm hanging around but wait till music's in season

That's when I'm high that is how I play

and I do it the best that's all I need for a reason

Can't think straight can't think at all staring out the window

Hear the band I hear them call everything will disappear and

I get the feeling I can conquer anything gets in my way

Don't need no doctor 'caus I know exactly what I need today I

The sun beats down upon me and it looks as tough that spring

Has waited long enough to get here she knows that I must

Sing about her future oh sing about her past I love to play my music

And I try to make it last but sometimes summer comes too fast

and I do it the best

That's when I'm high that is how I play hey, Yeah..

Got to rock On !

Just got in from the after party, awesome show they played for 2 1/2 hrs straight. There's No Place Like Home ...... is in the can & coming soon.

IT WAS BITTERSWEET I wish founding members Robbie Steinhardt and Dave Hope could have made the show, it would have been nice to see the whole group together again for the anniversary. Other than that they rocked the house, except for one small technical moment when they lost the sound for a moment in mid song but they picked it up at the break where they left off and I'm sure it will edit in fine on the DVD. Steve's voice was in strong form ,although not the youthful range he had some thirty years ago. It was Kansas stripped down to their best , Gone were the Pyro and lasers of the past, no back flips over the keyboard rack or handstands on the organ from Steve Walsh just the sound that took them to the top many years ago.

Steve Morse from Deep Purple sat in on his Kansas songs from his time in the 80s and the finale where all the guys Kansas past and present played some songs together.

I can't believe it has been thirty-five years where did the time go? I remember when they came back from recording the first album and had a release party. They played at the Agricultural Hall at the fairgrounds, no seats, everyone sat packed on the concrete floor. They had no money for effects so someone got the bright idea to fill a metal strip with gunpowder and ignite it, at the front of the stage, it almost singed off their faces. As I made my way up the walkway to the concert hall tonight ...just for a brief moment I swear I saw that old yellow" White Clover" School Bus parked out back waiting as it had faithfully for many years for the boys to load up after the show.

There's No Place Like Home ......

Edited by WhiteDove