GreaseSpot Cafe

american idol

excathedra

Dear Excathedra,

Do I misunderstand your posts or are you having a probing conversation with yourself. :D

The Mrs. and me were into Gokey. Love the sound of his voice, and his delivery. I downloaded couple of his tunes, and find him to be someone I enjoy hearing over again. I had hoped he'd be in tonight.

Kris too. Both have styles that wear well. Kris has a great quality and attitude as a performer.

Adam I don't like as much, as the quality of his voice isn't distinctive, the sound of it. He's got range, pipes and is clearly a great singer and performer and will do well. I think they hit the nail on the donkey when they identified his sound as heavy rock pop. I think it gives him some texture doing that style. But he could do most stuff equally well. He has that L.A. Hollywood Goth look that's pretty over done IMO, looks like every kid on the main drag of Hollywood, Friday night. But he can sing.

Gokey - his version of "You Are So Beautiful" was, is a classic. Off the chart, hanky time stuff. Loved it.

I have a sneaking suspicion Kris might take it. Dunno. I'm also glad that Adam made it to the final round. They really needed some singers who can, well sing and they haven't had the range and quality of this year in any season methinks.

The judges - I've had enough of the new gal, and yes. They're class - A dorks. :biglaugh:

Quite the two hour blow out!

Kris - da winnah!

Finally, a Finale that lives up to the name. It had it all, the tears, the laughter, the corn ball humor and some pretty darned good performances. Brian May, once again showing how distinctive his sound is. He could drop off the back of a truck and hit the riffs in "We Are the Champion" and draw a crowd.

Rod Stewart! Still kickin' it. Really a statement of growth - when I saw him years ago with Jeff Beck's group at the "old" Fillmore he was in the hide-behind-the-amp stage of his career, hesitant to take center stage. Now - well, he's the Rodster. Likewise with Lionel Richie - he's not really my favorite performer, but it seems he's in full force, doing it as well as ever. Nice stuff.

Kiss? Well, Kiss is Kiss. Oddly, one of the weaker presentations of the night for me. Kiss fills a stage, they don't leave much room for anyone else, being what they are. Having someone perform with them as they had Adam do seemed to hmmm...it suddenly makes the obvious painfully so - it's 4 guys (old guys now) in makeup roaming around. They're always one step into parody and effecting it with a sing along, didn't work for me.

AT and T released that 38 million of the 100 million or so votes came from Arkansas, Kris's home state. The dynamics of it being a voting show spoke, I guess. I think Kris clearly had it goin' on. Listening to his studio recordings they released during the season he sounded great. The kid's got a voice, in more ways than one.

Now, as long as they don't do first-releases that are the usual droopy drag-asz things they put out with the winners, it will be good. I can't see Kris or Adam doing "Do I Make You Proud" or some such glafuphal. They need to let them do some decent tunes. That one of co-written by one of the judges, hmmm...okay in my book, so if that's the first Kris release hope they get it out of the way and move on to some interesting stuff.

* AT&T is denying that 38 million votes came in from Arkansas. They are not sure where that number originated from. *

oh i know !!!!!! i loved that !!!!!!

(except i wish she didn't have to extend her legs so much, i'm sorry)

--

having duos with these new artists and these great artists was so wonderful

i would love to have seen danny and rod

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNUxsP2pg_4

danny NEVER reminded me of lionel

and when danny was singing this, i forgot who the original artist was

what great performers

i mean singers

OHMYGOD how could i forget carlos !!!!!!!!!!!

one of my FAVES

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-y2LUh-9AA

An amazing tune of Bob Dylan's, no question. Poignant to say the least.

I think Allen's version does so well because as the judges noted throughout the season, he seems to be able to authentically "connect" through a performance and make the song his own. When he sings this one, you believe him. You can't buy that or practice it into performance. You have to grow into it and he seems to have an old soul in that young body when he sings what he would do for the one he loves. Everyone who's felt that or wanted that knows the feeling, that the impossible is possible and will be done with their love. He did a good job.

When the rain is blowing in your face

And the whole world is on your case

I could offer you a warm embrace

To make you feel my love

When the evening shadows and the stars appear

And there is no one there to dry your tears

I could hold you for a million years

To make you feel my love

I know you haven't made your mind up yet

But I would never do you wrong

I've known it from the moment that we met

No doubt in my mind where you belong

I'd go hungry, I'd go black and blue

I'd go crawling down the avenue

There ain't nothing that I wouldn't do

To make you feel my love

The storms are raging on the rollin' sea

Down on the highway of regret

The winds of change are blowing wild and free

But you ain't seen nothing like me yet

I could make you happy, make your dreams come true

I know there's nothing that I wouldn't do

Go to the ends of the earth for you

To make you feel my love

To make you feel my love

Sorry but I had to crack up when Adam sang that line in "Beth": My and the boys will be playing... all night.

Adam's theatrics wore thin.

Kris plays some instruments and sings - that scores points.

I would have liked to have seen Danny win, although Alison was my fav - that chick has one of the best female rock voices I've heard in a long time!

it's so interesting to see who people like

that young gal is something

i liked danny so much and my sister couldn't stand him

i liked adam a lot, but i liked kris more

sometimes i wonder (for me) if it's the songs they choose lol -- you know, songs i love :) who knows, but i enjoyed it

i only watched a little this year, but it was nice