GreaseSpot Cafe

Microsoft Critical Updates

TheEvan

Now don't get all postal yet...those bullet holes can really slow down your hard drive!

I found the following on the 'net...see if it works for you.

Update Windows 98 and 2000. Win 2000 and 98 lack the automated update mechanism built into Windows Me and XP, but you can add something similar in just a few shakes. Using Internet Explorer, head to the Windows Update site, click Product Updates, then check the "Windows Critical Update Notification" box. Click Download and follow the instructions.

Once Critical Update's installed, it waits until you establish a live Internet connection, then periodically checks for critical updates (the ones Microsoft thinks you should download and install toot sweet). If it finds one or more, it puts a message on the screen. You'll have the option to find out more about the updates before you download them, or delay installation for 24 hours if you're busy at the moment. If you tire of Critical Update Notification, get rid of it by using Add/Remove Programs from the Control Panel.

quote:
Originally posted by TheEvan:

This thing keeps popping up on me and I cannot figure out how to turn it off. If you can tell me how, you will be doing the world a great service by saving me from going postal and spraying bullets randomly at a Microsoft convention...

You do realize that it pops up to let you know that Microsoft screwed up and to download the fixes to stuff, right? It doesn't pop up just to annoy you, it pops up because there is a problem to fix.

quote:
Originally posted by TheEvan:

Hmm, you two gave me something to think about. I guess I won't go postal quite yet. How about UPS?

Anyway, thanks bunches

If I were you, I'd double click on it to see what it has to say. It should pop up a screen with a bunch of stuff saying, "Critical Update blah blah blah" or "Service Pack 1" in a list.

I think from there there should be a button to download all of it, and it will go back down to the corner of the screen. It will take a while to download, then it will ask you to install the updates.

Once you install them, it's going to ask you to reboot so when you do that be aware to not have unsaved files open in Word or whatever you are doing.