GreaseSpot Cafe

Does anyone have a little time on their hands?

Ron G.

I bought a web domain through godaddy.com to facilitate my photo stuff...promotion and maybe to show proofs to clients.

So far, all I've been able to do with it is to stare blankly at my monitor. I know how to write a little html and have done some <A HREF="http://webspace.webring.com/people/du/um_4338/">free sites on the old geocities</A>, but this ain't geocities.

If anyone might have a little extra time on their hands and could help out, PM me.

This whole concept of "going digital" has it's upsides, but it sure has it's downsides...and sliding down the learning curve can be a bumpy ride.

Edited by Ron G.

I bought a web domain through godaddy.com to facilitate my photo stuff...promotion and maybe to show proofs to clients.

So far, all I've been able to do with it is to stare blankly at my monitor. I know how to write a little html and have done some <A HREF="http://webspace.webring.com/people/du/um_4338/">free sites on the old geocities</A>, but this ain't geocities.

If anyone might have a little extra time on their hands and could help out, PM me.

This whole concept of "going digital" has it's upsides, but it sure has it's downsides...and sliding down the learning curve can be a bumpy ride.

When I gave you a couple of suggestions didja try them yet?

confused.gif

Who is hosting you?

Rather than hand code something, I would get something called a CMS (Content Management System) Most of them are free. And can be installed in a matter of a half hour or so. They all have "plug-ins" to do galleries. and such things as a panel that will give short previews of your photos. I know that many on the board can install them. You just need access to the control panel and have mySQL databases. (Most providers do that.)

Greasespot uses Joomla, which is my favorite. Drupal is another one. Joomla has more plugins than Drupal, but Drupal is a little bit friendlier.

You could also install Wordpress, which is more than a blog platform. You have two options with WP. The first is to let them host you. The second is to install WP on your site.

Ron,

It looks like GoDaddy has WordPress available - it may be already included in your package. There are a lot of Word Press Themes - as of today 1,213 of them. Some have more features than others. There are some really sharp out-of-the-box photo galleries.

The "Suffusion" theme is often used for photo galleries.

Not much need to code anything and it's fairly easy to change themes until you get one you like but be happy with what you've chosen before loading it up.

In WP you get extra features with plugins. Not all plugins work with every theme.

You activate themes and plugins by point and click.

Edited by lovematters
  • Upvote 1