GreaseSpot Cafe

The miners are rescued!!!

Twinky

Awesome, those miners who have been trapped underground for 69 days are now in process of being extracted; the tenth (as I write this) has just emerged. It's a joyful occasion. Originally it had been thought that it may not happen until after Christmas.

The shift leader has shown great leadership and has kept the men in good condition. Dunno what training he had received, or whether it was "common sense" but he has done much to ensure the safety of all, including, right from the beginning, rationing the food that was available. Perhaps he has also led the discussions between the men, that they will all share the profits from selling their stories. I think this is the same man who's said, yes, he does want to carry on mining.

I watched video footage of the first extraction. Now it may be partially to do with genetics, that he's not a naturally hairy man - but that man was clean shaven! He'd done himself up as best as possible (think: Joseph presenting himself to Pharaoh). Here this man presents himself to the world - and he's showing great, positive, Chilean spirit.

Several of the others sport facial hair, some quite bushy beards, others neat partial beards and moustaches.

Here's a link, updated every 90 seconds, but things might have moved on so tomorrow this link might not work.

Live link to Mining Rescue

:eusa_clap: :) :beer::eusa_clap::eusa_clap::eusa_clap::dance: <<even has miner's sunglasses on

Well done all!

(13 up now!!)

Edited by Twinky

15:37 Alfredo Cooper, the Chilean president's Protestant chaplain, described today's events as "a miracle", definitively so, as a drill bit had been deflected from its original route when it found the miners' refuge.

:) :) :)

Love the way so many of the miners prayed, crossed themselves, or otherwise gave thanks to God - both before and after being lifted out.

Omas Reygadas (no 17) has just emerged, clutching his Bible. Joyous sounds all round. Hugged his adult son and daughter, then sank to his knees and raised his hands and waved his Bible in joyful thanks and praise.

And here is Esteban Rojas, who proposed to his girlfriend of 25 yrs whilst buried in the mine. Nothing like a crisis to focus one's attention!

He springs out of the capsule, kneels on the ground straight away - brushing aside his rescuers - prays and gives thanks. Only then does he leap to his feet to greet and hug his fiancee, the Minister for Mines, his rescuers and everyone else at the pit head.

And here is the next man out.

This operation is sooooo slick. Everything about how they deal with the families, the media, the photography. Getting quicker on th extractions, too. You'd think they have been doing all this for years. Thank God they haven't.

Now appears Dario Segovia - no.20 - only 1/2 hour, definitely getting faster. And he gives his wife - edit, his sister - the biggest hug you have ever seen.

Edited by Twinky

Recently appeared was one whose wife discovered he was having an affair when the mistress was also at the pit head. Oops! And what's more, he was greeted out of the capsule by - the mistress - described by Chile TV as his "esposa" (fiancee). There were big hugs from two young women (his daughters?) but another older woman (his wife?) was nowhere to be seen.

This man may end up wishing he was still down the mine.

Or maybe his wife will send him back down there again. Complete with "esposa."

Still ongoing. The 29th has just emerged.

The Minister of Mines is doing a great job. He welcomes each family representative and has this huge smile that seems so very personal, always has a jolly word to say. It doesn't hurt that he's a good-looking guy. The Prime Minister and his wife are also there. Hugs and beams to everyone.

Great kudos for the PM and Mines Minster. The PM was warned to stay out of it, in case it all went wrong. But he insisted on doing what could be done for the miners.

There is genuine joy at this pit head. You can feel it, even across the internet.

Oh brilliant! All the miners are out now - about 22.5 hours. Much less than expected. It's a wonderfully emotional and joyful occasion.

No doubt there will be fault-finding and blame later on - but now is not the time.

There are still several men down in the mine, rescuers, who themselves need to be retrieved.

Well done all!!

From the online blog linked earlier.

04.37 It's over! The last rescue worker, believed to be Manuel Gonzales, is safely out of the mine and back on the surface. He is greeted by jubilant cheers and a final round of "Chi Chi Chi, Le Le Le!".

Laughing, he greets the president and his colleagues before delivering the message: "Let this never happen again."

His return marks the end of the remarkably successful Operation San Lorenzo. All 33 miners safe. Chile breathes a big sigh of relief, and the party begins...

04.21 He's in the capsule and he's off. The final departure from the bottom of the San Jose mine.

04.20 The rescuer is being cheered as he waves to the mine camera and gives a bow.

04.19 Here we go, the Phoenix 2 has landed at the mine floor for the last time. The last rescuer must get himself into the capsule without any help. It's not clear what will happen to the equipment and supplies left underground by the miners. Will anyone will be game to go down to get them?

And a wild party was had by all. Such joy and rejoicing! Anyone who has lived in a community that has a main focus will know how much a disaster affects one and all whether or not they have someone directly involved and mining towns are very tightly focused and community-knit).

I have a soft spot in my heart for miners because my great-grandfather was one in Illinois, my great-great-grandfather was one in the north of England (and maybe his father before him), some other ancestors, and some cousins. It's not an easy life, for sure.

I watched the first few rescues, then some the next morning, and the last few. I had to wonder how the last rescuer felt, down deep in that mine by himself, waiting to go up to the surface. I was more nervous for him than for the rest!

I hope this incident raises the bar for mine safety around the world. It's never going to be perfect because it's inherently dangerous, but clearly chances are taken that never should be.

The company that owned this mine had been in financial difficulties in the few years preceding this disaster. The mind had been closed for a period (I think) because they had no money. It's possible that they were cutting corners when it came to safety, which is why the rockfalls occurred - inadequate shoring up or whatever.

The rescue has been paid for mostly by the Chilean government (not the mine owning company). No doubt there will be lots of legal wrangling as working out who has to pay for what costs is sorted out. But yesterday was not the day for that.

Some of the men have already been released from hospital after thorough checks.

The shift leader, who kept it all together, needs formally recognizing with an award, a medal. It could so easily have been a different story without his strong leadership.

Mining communities do have a very strong "hang together" sense.

There is very little coalmining left in the UK but the north of England was at one time a huge coalmining area. You're right, Linda. Not an easy life. And one with longterm health consequences from all the dust.