GreaseSpot Cafe

Major Help Requested!!

krys

Hey - you know those errors and crashes I've been working on...well now there is a new wrinkle.

Last time the puter took a dive, the error message on the screen indicated a BIOS update was in order!!!!

BIOS = basic input output system....the thing that makes this little grey box think like a computer....so now...how do I do that?

Am I fried? How much trouble am I in, exactly!

Did you delete ZA as you said you were going to do? Is your computer a pentium 3 or pentium 4. What kind is it and how much memory does it have in it. What kind of Motherboard and version of Bios do you have.

Go to start, run and type in msinfo32.exe to find out some of these things.

Also what version of Internet Explorer are you using.

Download all the windows updates....all of them.

At least we can eliminate those as possibilities. The updates alone may fix your problem.

I doubt if you need a bios upgrade unless your computer is old. IT is not an easy thing to do and unnecessary for the most part as is reinstalling your XP operating system.

More than likely your porblems are caused by something simple. A conflict of some kind.

Under what conditions do errors happen and what are you using at the time?

Also - one more thing. Go to Start / Programs / Startup. Is anything there? If it is, delete it.

Thanks John!

There are several things in start-up and I will delete them shortly, thanks.

I have not booted ZoneAlarm yet as I'm not sure how to set XP's own firewall, and I haven't gotten the router yet. But - I wonder how vulnerable will I be if I do just delete it?

I've traced most of the errors to Internet Explorer...and I think I've gotten all the updates, but I'm going to check the Microsoft website now.

This computer is almost exactly 1 year old...Athlon AMD 1800 approx equal to Pentium 4 - 256 ram 50 gig and other goodies which I will post later.

I've learned a whole lot reading about this stuff. I feel better that I'm not going to lose my system, but this is, at the least, annoying.

Thanks for your response.

krys

BTW since I updated the cabel modem driver, the computer has not "crashed"...all the info I've given you has come from the Event Viewer!

Krys: IG is incorrect. A BIOS update is a fairly trivial task that doesn't even require opening the computer. You absolutely have to have your motherboard's maker and model number though, that's crucial. Each BIOS is specifically tailored to a particular motherboard, and you cannot use any BIOS but one intended for your machine.

Typically, you go to the motherboard maker's website, look up the model number, and any BIOS updates will be listed there. You download the latest version, unZip it, print out the instructions, copy the files to a boot floppy, reboot with it in the A: drive, and follow the instructions. Takes 5 minutes or less.

Zixar - actually I was trying to say that a BIOS update is NOT so easy and may NOT be necessary. I was discouraging doing it because god forbid if you flash the bios with the wrong information it could be a real disaster. However, I think they are making it easier to do these days. I have a feeling that a BIOS update is not related to her probs. But I could be wrong. Last resort I say. Yet when I get a new computer it is one of the first things I do.

Anyway, Krys, make sure you have the latest version of Internet Explorer by downloading it from Windows Updates. Make sure you have administrative rights or are logged in as Administrator when installing anything. By downloading the newest version of IE you are in effect reinstalling it. Built in to that whole install is the latest version of Outlook Express too.

Good luck (I love saying that phrase now). Keep us posted as to your results.

PS - I did not know there was such a thing as a cable modem driver. But then again, I am no professional, just a hobbyist. Is this an internal cable modem? Most are external and XP seems to have everything needed already to handle it. Hmmm.

Hi all:

I have all the paperwork from Cyberpower where I bought this puppy about a year ago. I cannot tell which item is the motherboard!

I will call them in the morning to find out. I went to their website and they appear to have all the updated drivers for everything they build into their machines. They have several BIOS updates, but, of course I am taking no chances until I talk to them in the morning.

I have the most recent IE 6 with SP1. What would happen if I downloaded and installed IE6 again right over the existing copy on my machine??? would that be a problem?

John, in my travels lately, I've discovered that just about every single piece of equipment has its own driver. Ugh! This cable modem is external. I recently upgraded from dialup!

John: Some of the cable and DSL modems are USB instead of Ethernet, so they require drivers. Motherboard manufacturers rarely ship a bug-free BIOS, so updating it at every opportunity is a good thing, and it's hardly rocket science.

Krys: Reinstalling IE 6 over the newer version shouldn't give you any problems. The intermittent reboots may be from your power supply, if it isn't rated for high enough wattage, or it's got a fault that opens when it heats up. Check with CyberPower, they can probably help you.

I'm still learning.

I royally "plussed" that I cannot figure out how to get scandisk or checkdisk to work on this machine!...I can get it to work, but I cannot find a way to print out the results....perhaps I am poking in the dark and there is no way!

I've dumped ZoneAlarm and there was some improvement....in error messages...there were none...but this machine continued crashing.

I located downloaded and installed a new video driver. So far, 11 hours and no crashes, although all my display settings needed to be reset!

Tech support suggests that the next step, if I need one...is to repair Windows with the rescue CD...and then, and then only (don't know why that statement....) download and install an updated bios.

So - that's where we are.