GreaseSpot Cafe

What did Jesus do?

I got this devotional from http://www.Godspeaks.com and it reminded me of how people often say stuff like, "I know Jesus must have done this because I do it." and I wondered if any others had thoughts like these.

However, if Jesus is the Standard, then the order in that statement is backwards. I believe that we must identify "what would Jesus do" (as WWJD proclaims), and then see how we line up.

Regarding the below quote, I don't know that Jesus cried as a baby. I do know He suffered and endured all the pains and discomforts I could imagine and more so, and that He is a true Savior.

I do know that he was obviously practiced in holding his tongue when he faced his accusers the Chief Priests and Pilate (Matthew 27:12-14) and said nothing. Certainly the Lord Jesus always knew how to hold his tongue and only speak what His Father wanted said.

Jesus cried:

John 7:28 When he taught in the temple and then 12:44, He cried and [then] said, "He that believeth on me, believeth not on me, but on him that sent me." It's understandable that He cried out because it's easy to identify with the grief of trying to communicate the love of Jesus to people who have closed their hearts. Both times the teaching was done in "saying" not screaming or "crying."

John 11:43: He cried for Lazarus (who was certifiably dead).

From the cross He cries again: (1) at "eli eli lama sabacthani" and then when He gave up the "ghost"/spirit and "said" Into thy hands I commend my spirit," and laid down His life for us. "Said" is repeated twice.

Other times, such as when he drove the animals out of the temple he "said" in controlled voice, "you have made my Father's house a den of thieves" although it is commonly taught that Jesus was in a rage, the Bible gives no support to that interpretation.

In regard to the devotional below, I believe it is sufficient to say that Jeus endured the pains and heartaches, and that it does not diminish his suffering on our behalf to posit that He did not cry and whine his way through life.

Cry Baby

"He gave up his divine privileges, he took the humble position of a slave and was born as a human being."

- Philippians 2:7 (NLT)

My family and I were driving home from an evening at the beach. It was just before Christmas, and holiday music rang out over our car radio. Pristine lights wrapped perfectly around the palm trees lined the streets, splashes of red and green greeting us at every corner.

Sounds perfect, right? It was...except for one thing. Our ten-month old son was screaming. He was experiencing the trifecta of baby discomfort: He was tired, hungry, and had a messy diaper. There was little we could do as we sat all buckled into our respective seats, so we reassured him we'd be home soon, and turned the music up a little bit louder. Despite feeling badly for our son, I chuckled to myself as I listened to the lyrics of Away in the Manger. In case you've forgotten, the second verse goes like this:

The cattle are lowing

The poor Baby wakes

But little Lord JesusNo crying He makes...

While this is a sweet sentiment, I find it hard to believe the Christ child never cried. He probably didn't throw fits like my son does on occasion, but the Scriptures say this Child was clothed in human flesh and experienced everything we do. That included hunger, tiredness...and even messy diapers. Why does that matter to us? Because it means He understands what we're going through. He knows what it's like to hurt. He understands discomfort and betrayal. He has experienced frustration and disappointment. Any time you experience suffering, you can rest assured that Jesus has been in your shoes - so He knows exactly how to guide you, comfort you, and help you.This High Priest of ours understands our weaknesses, for he faced all of the same testings we do, yet he did not sin. Hebrews 4:15 (NLT)

Think About It...

What does this devotional reveal to me about God?

What does this devotional reveal to me about myself?

Based on this, what changes do I need to make?

What is my prayer for today?