GreaseSpot Cafe

A satisfying interpretation of "to die is gain"

Received this in email today and it lifted another vp doctrine of confusion off my shoulders and I thought someone else would like it also ("Are the dead alive now" book only led to confusion and discouragement. I could never understand it. The following is something simple even I could understand.)

"PURPOSE!"

Philippians 1:21-24

"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body."

More than once I have had people come into my office with a defeated attitude. They feel at the end of themselves because they lack purpose in their life. In most instances they were more interested in how they felt than in seeking a way to be of service to the Lord and to others. Are you at that place in your life?

Paul was in prison and facing death. He never knew from moment to moment how much time he had left on this earth. In the face of his impending death he was writing these words to give comfort to each of us facing an unknown future. It is not as important to know the future as it is to know the God who controls the future.

Paul had a unique purpose for his life. It was to serve his Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. It really did not matter to Paul whether he lived or died. If he died his pain would be ended and he would be with the Lord and have that peace that is free from all suffering.

Therefore he was torn emotionally. He was eager for the eternity with the Lord that awaited him, but he had PURPOSE while he was still here. That purpose was to minister to those who crossed his path. With that ultimate purpose in mind he could resound with a clarion cry: "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain." I desire that to be my purpose as well.

Blessings dear hearts. Draw near to God today, trust Him completely and be a blessing!

- - - Pastor Cecil

Edited by Kit Sober