GreaseSpot Cafe

IRC chat - Try it, You'll Like it!

Ttessa

For anyone who might want to start learning about IRC - try this link

mIRC Installation Guide

It will take you to a beginner's guide. Overall, using IRC is easy, once you get familiar with it. It really is much better than all the alternatives I've seen so far. The software that you download is called a "client" for IRC and it is shareware (meaning the author of the software program requests that you voluntarily send him $20 payment, after a trial period. The trial period is completely free - I think it's 3 months)

mIRC is a "client" for using a huge network of chatters. There are folks from all over the world using IRC for chatting. That means there are a few dangers but the benefits are great, and there are safeguards you can use to protect your computer. Something called "a firewall" is pretty smart for folks who stay connected all day using DSL or cable. I am a dial-up subscriber to my ISP, so I dont use a firewall ( don't know much about them, only know OF them).

Mostly, you if you follow basic Internet precautions, you'll be fine - like: do not use your real name anywhere in the setup, and be selective about who you reveal it to, when chatting. NO personal info like address, or phone number (although, your connecting city & state will be able to be seen by anyone using IRC). I've been using mIRC for chat for over 3 years, and NEVER had a problem with intruders or bad files or anything like that.

This XWAY chatroom is no longer moderated by Mrs. Rat/BikerBabe, although the moderator does invite her to join in the chat sometimes. She's fun and knows more about IRC than anyone else I know. The Moderator is "Onegod" here, on the GS Forum and from Waydale. He posts occasionally, but not often (hmmmm....he must have a LIFE, huh? LOLOL).

Anyone needing more help than I've detailed here, can email me at FemNavyVet@nxs.net ......I use the nick "Ttessa" in the IRC chatroom and in the Yahoo chatroom.

--------------------------------

You can download mIRC from : http://www.mirc.co.uk Then, to set up (just two things, actually) for chat:

1. SERVER

To add the XWorld Server - click on File then Options, in the "IRC Network" slot, click the arrow to get the full list of networks. Scroll down to "XWorld" and highlight it, to bring it into the slot.

Then click the Add button, put "XWorld" (without quote marks) in Description box, Put "Buffalo.NY.US.XWorld.Org" in the IRC Server box, click OK. (The password is NOT necessary.)

Now is a good time to put in the other two Servers, too - but you can do that later. They are Chicago.IL.US.XWorld.Org or Wollongong.NSW.AU.XWorld.Org

2. CHANNEL

Slowly move cursor over icons under menus, the 3rd icon says, "Channels Folder". Click that.

In the "mIRC Channels Folder", click the Add button.

In top box, put "#xway" in the box, be sure to click the OK button. (don't use the quote marks, but the # is necessary).

***TO CONNECT***

Either (1) click on the leftmost icon( the lightening bolt) to Connect, or (2) click File, then Connect. Automatically, a Channels Folder pops up, once you're connected to the Server, . Scroll down (alphabetically) to the entry for "#xway", click on #xway to highlight it. Then click the "Join" button.

[This message was edited by Ttessa on October 23, 2002 at 21:58.]

Robi -

Good to see your post, gal! I've missed you.

If you have the mIRC software on your computer, you have to set it up with the Server information I gave above. If you have PIRCH software already loaded on your computer, then contact Joel (cuz I don't use PIRCH, and don't remember how to use it). I'm sure he'd love to get your e-mail and will help you with anything you need.

I can't give you a link here, to connect to any IRC chatroom, because you can't get to Internet Relay Chat (IRC) through web browsers (Internet Explorer or Netscape). You have to get the IRC software - the most popular, are mIRC or PIRCH. IRC is not another website. It uses the Net to function, but it works differently- that's all I know. IRC is a different animal - it opens a new window, kinda like aol IM opens a different window.

The IRC Network = XWorld

The Server = (one of the 3 servers I listed above): Buffalo.NY.US.XWorld.Org

The Channel (chatroom) = xway.

It's sorta different than you're used to, I know - but keep trying, it's worth it!