GreaseSpot Cafe

Dual monitor users?

igotout

I recently got a "Dream Machine". One of my toys is dual 21 Sony Trinitrons on a GeForce 4 128MB graphics card. So far I like!!! But it was a little complicated to get working correctly. The latest, latest Nvidia drivers seemed to smooth things out. Anyone else out there using dual monitors? Pros and cons?

John I have been using a twin screen for some time but mostly for ebay stuff. I was using a 2nd monitor which was run by a ATI 3d Rage an old one I think only Mach 64 which was dependable but a little slow. I recently however took it off (taking up too much space)on my desk. I never had any problems with it or my OEM vid driver. The triple is cool but I am not into putes thats heavy anymore. Oh and sorry about the email to Dallas I needed to blow off some steam that day.

Fightin crimes of daway

I like two but they take up a lot of space. especially these 21" ones. The flat screens were too expensive for this size and not much better quality. Also the edge of the monitors, where they join together side by side is a bit annoying because it is like a visual gap.

I think it will be especially helpful when I get a TV card. Watching TV on my older system was distracting on one monitor but putting it on a seperate monitor might be just the thing.

Indebt - today's cards support two monitors on one card. Previously you had to use two cards.

I have a picture of a system with 9 21" monitors that a guy built! He used three Matrox cards (the only card that supports three monitors).

I used dual monitors once. I liked it. I used the slower, less capable card to put up notepad when writing HTML, and the other faster card to show the web page as changes were made. It worked real nice.

They are planning to get us triple flat screen monitors at work so we can monitor more things concurrently. As it is with one, things get buried under the top window and you can't see things that may be happening below. I can't wait.

Man, I'm jealous! That sounds cool. My monsters take up a lot of desk real estate. You can set up multiple monitors in two ways.

As three seperate monitors.with the task bar on the middle one, three seperate wallpapers, etc.

As one giant monitor. They call it monitor spaning. This setting treats all three monitors as one. THe task bar, for instance, spans all way across the bottom of all three monitors from end to end. I prefer this method. It seems more intuitive and plus the wallpaper looks fantastic spread across all three.

You're gonna like it.