GreaseSpot Cafe

Are you writing a story of your experiences in The Way?

penworks

If you're writing a book or magazine article or a post here at Greasespot Cafe about your Way experiences, here's my latest blog post about my book about writing, which features a timetable showing how and why I wrote my memoir, Undertow.

The following is posted on my website at https://charleneedge.com and in the thread for Undertow here at GSC.

September Discount: From the Porch to the Page

by  |  posted in: Book Events, My Writing Life |  0

PORCH-and-CLE-225x300.pngGreetings, subscribers! Happy Labor Day weekend. To celebrate the labor of writing, for the month of September, ON SALE for $15.00, you can get my most recent book, From the Porch to the Page: A Guidebook for the Writing Life. 

$15.00 includes tax and shipping to anywhere in the USA. This offer, unfortunately, is not available to readers in other countries. However, the book is available on Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

For ordering details, see below.

Did you know…?

This book includes the behind-the-scenes scoop—references in essays and a timetable in Appendix 1 —about how and why I wrote and published my award-winning memoir, Undertow: My Escape from the Fundamentalism and Cult Control of The Way International.

This is particularly valuable to readers of Undertow who tell me they are now working on memoirs about their own experiences in The Way International, which is still in business and actively recruiting.

Porch is NOT only for writers

From the book’s cover: Edge’s prose is crisp and to the point, her voice discerning yet collegial, speaking friend to friend, as she shares stories, realizations, and moments of beauty.

• More than 30 essays on the writing life and craft
  • Charlene’s short stories and poems illustrating essay topics — some of these were published and won prizes
  • Nourishing insights from well-known authors and poets
  • Recommended books for writing memoir, poetry, fiction, and travel stories

Beginning with “Readers Become Writers” and ending with “If You Want to Keep Writing,” Edge’s encouraging and gentle book highlights the vistas, detours, and delights on the writing path, along with truths we can all apply to poetry, prose, and life.

To order your personalized, signed copy of From the Porch to the Page
  1. Email me at crledge@earthlink.net
  2. In the Subject line, write PORCH.
  3. I’ll reply with specific instructions.
  4. Offer ends: September 30, 2023

Thanks for reading!

Your writer on the wing,

Charlene

YouTube presentation - book launch for From the Porch to the Page. 

YouTube presentation on UndertowCHARLENE L. EDGE –Author “A Cult Insider’s Story” – YouTube

• 3 weeks later...

Ten days left to order your personalized, signed copy of From the Porch to the Page

1. Email me at crledge@earthlink.net
  2. In the Subject line, write PORCH.
  3. I’ll reply with specific instructions.
  4. Offer ends: September 30, 2023

Description:

From the Porch to the Page: A Guidebook for the Writing Life is Charlene L. Edge’s most recent book—a delightful multi-genre collection with something for every reader and writer.

Edge’s prose is crisp and to-the-point, her voice discerning yet collegial, speaking friend-to-friend, as she shares stories, realizations, and moments of beauty. At the heart of the collection are more than thirty short essays, containing insights into the writing craft, practical exercises, marketing tips, self-publishing advice, and recommendations of books on topics to nourish the emotional and intellectual lives of writers.

As well as exploring beloved authors and poets, Edge includes her own work to illustrate and enrich her essays: short-short stories about a character, Melanie Craven, who falls into sticky but enlightening predicaments; poems on themes of growth, love, loss, nature, travel, and being a writer; and a short story about her cult experience predating her award-winning, book-length memoir Undertow: My Escape from the Fundamentalism and Cult Control of The Way International.

Beginning with “Readers Become Writers” and ending with “If You Want to Keep Writing,” Edge’s encouraging and gentle book guides us on a journey from porches to pages, as she highlights the vistas, detours, and delights on the writing path, along with truths we can all apply to poetry, prose, and life.

Edited by penworks

Update on this offer:

There seems to be trouble with making payments to my account on Venmo. So, if anyone wants a signed copy at $15, free shipping, payment would need to be by check or money order.

Supplies are running low.

Email me at crledge@earthlink.net 

From the Porch to the Page: A Guidebook for the Writing Life | Charlene L. Edge (charleneedge.com)

Write your story somewhere, somehow, in some way, but write it down, especially for your children and grandchildren. That's why I wrote Undertow: primarily for my daughter.

One of my favorite quotes about memoir from Patricia Hampl's book, I Could Tell You Stories:

"If we refuse to do the work of creating this personal version of the past, someone else will do it for us.  That is the scary political fact.  'The struggle of man against power,' Milan Kundera's hero in The Book of Laughter and Forgetting says, 'is the struggle of memory against forgetting.'  He refers to willful political forgetting, the habit of nations and those in power (Question Authority!) to deny the truth of memory in order to disarm moral and ethical power. It is an efficient way of controlling masses of people."

Charlene ad_v3.jpg

Hi Greasespotters,

Thanks to those of you who took advantage of this special sale on my second book.

The sale is over BUT the book is available on Amazon, Barnes and Noble and other booksellers. It's also in ebook format.

Happy writing!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

There's been talk on other threads here on GSC about writing your Way story, whether on social media platforms or in articles or books.

If the target audience for your story are folks who know little or nothing about The Way, I offer a checklist of things outsiders need to understand when reading a Way story in this blog post from my own website. Maybe it'll help you as a writer.

Speaking of "Way" Stories ... | Charlene L. Edge (charleneedge.com)

If you do move forward with publically telling your Way story, there are lots of books about writing memoir. One I like is Your Life as Story by Tristine Rainer.

A list of other books that helped me write Undertow are in From the Porch to the Page: A Guidebook for the Writing Life | Charlene L. Edge (charleneedge.com).

One of my favorite quotes:

"Writing is not a performance but a generosity." ~ Brenda Ueland in her book, If You Want to Write

• Like 1