GreaseSpot Cafe

Best place to stay in Washington D.C.?

1searcher

I am thinking about going to Washington D.C. on vacation this year and wondered if anyone has a favorite hotel they would recommend? I would prefer something in the downtown area but will consider anyplace the metro runs.

Also, what would you consider the "must see" sights in D.C. or the surrounding areas?

Cindy! and I were just there a couple of weeks ago.

We stayed at the St. Regis 2 blocks from the White House.

It's overpriced, like any of the downtown hotels. (We stayed there for free because I earned Starwood points at my last job).

They bend over backwards there with hospitality.

I would absolutly recommend staying at a hotel somewhere along the metro instead of downtown.

Go with hotels.com and get yourself a good deal.

And be sure and look up the Flow7's or Perusers while you're there - they are good people.

We greatly enjoyed staying in the Dupont Circle area. We stayed at the Radisson, but there are plenty of other hotels near the Metro stop. Dupont circle is a trendy, artsy, ethnic enclave in the heart of Embassy Row. Lots of cool restaurants, shops & unusual diversions.

I stay in D.C. a lot, and my absolute favorite hotel is L'Enfante Plaza. There's a Metro stop right under the hotel, along with some shops and food places. The rooms are nice, the service is superb, and although the dining room is sorta small, the food is fabulous--best cobb salad on the planet, by the way. icon_smile.gif:)-->

I love not having to leave the building to hop on the Metro...just down the elevator and escalator and you're there. It's a bit pricey, but as Steve said, most downtown D.C. hotels are.

That Radisson at DuPont Circle is nice too...has roomy suites, and it's close to the Metro. Also has a good Chinese restaurant down the street and a couple fast food places and a little market and an Internet cafe (well, it did about 3 years ago...last time I stayed there). The only drawback, IMO, is the restaurant. When I was there it had a pretty limited menu, heavily S. American or something like that. I ordered out most of the time I was there.

I don't recommend the hotels in Arlington, around Crystal City. It's a business district and, outside the Crystal City complex, there are very few restaurants or cool places...sidewalks roll up by 6 p.m.

Let us know where you ended up and how you liked it.

I think Linda Z has the right idea. I am partial to the Dupont area myself lots of cool restaurants and galleries etc. Of course if you can stay where Steve! and Cindy! stayed then go for it. The nicer the hotel, the better I always say. I have become an elitest when it comes to hotels. Slurge if you can.

I have no idea what the prices would be. I suspect around $200/night + or -. It could go way up from there. You can always find things cheaper as you head toward Maryland. The subway system is great and beautiful. Barrel vaulted coffered ceilings and all.

If either of you are up for lunch or dinner sometime, I may be available (only thru the end of March).

quote:
Also, what would you consider the "must see" sights in D.C. or the surrounding areas?

If you haven't been there before, the "mall" area is a must, of course. Mucho museums, monuments, the Capital etc.. The Library of Congress is an overlooked gem IMO. Dupont Circle is fun as I said with Embassy Row right there. Its kind of fun to walk around and "hey look the embassy for The Republic of Chad." icon_smile.gif:)-->

They hae a great bookstore-cafe there. Georgetown in nice as well. Arlington is nice as well.

A short trip north and you feel like you've escaped the city at Great Falls State(?) Park. (The Billy Goat Trail is our favorite.)

Can you tell I like DC. I should be a freakin' travel guild.

I will miss it.

Try the internet. We managed an internet special at the Radisson for well under 100.

Linda, you're right about about their restaurant. it's good but limited. But with all the dining options within a block or so, why bother. For a cheap meal, the little Greek cafe in the same block was wonderful...