GreaseSpot Cafe

Would anyone like some software?

Zixar

I ran across a program I wrote last year. It runs in the background and scans the chat room for your friends (or enemies, whoever you like to put in your list) When a friend enters the room, it pops up an alert box.

I used to use it a lot, then gradually forgot about it. A friend mentioned that it might be of some value to others.

What do you think?

a) Heck, I'd pay money for something like that!

B) I'd use it, but it's not worth paying for.

c) I don't use the chat room enough to have a use for it.

God bless!

Zix

I was privileged to be given a copy of Zixy's program, although I haven't re-installed it since getting my XP up and running.

It's great - you can be on another site, or here in the forums, and the program "checks" the chat room for people you may be waiting to talk to when you don't want to sit around staring at an empty chat room waiting for them.

I'd pay for it - but I'm a chat user. I think a modest price would make it a success. It's a great idea.

Hope R. color>size>face>

Guess I'll have to dust off the source code, then... Next question, what's a good pricing model?

a) My life is empty without that program! I'll mortgage my house!

B) Shareware programs rarely prosper when more than $20.

c) It doesn't matter what you charge, I'll just copy it off of whoever buys it first. It's not really stealing, is it?

d) What you do is, you put a big bucket out, ring a bell, and people will pay you to shut up.

The more I think about it, the less I feel comfortable charging a set price for the ChatChek program. There's a lot of unforeseeable support issues, and it's all tied closely to how beSeen runs their chatrooms. If those suddenly change, it will break the way the program works.

So, here's what I'll do: as soon as I get a reasonably-stable version updated, I'll see if Paw won't post it somewhere here. If he can't, I'll dump it onto one of those freebie web sites.

Download it, use it if you like. If you get a lot of use out of it, pay me whatever you think is fair for it. If you look at it once and throw it away, that's fine. If you use it constantly, but are struggling to make the mortgage payment, then keep your money, and God bless you.

Some folks call the shareware/honor system the "sucker system", but I can't think of a fairer way to distribute it.

God bless!

Zix

Hey! Now I remember!

I beta tested a software program for a teacher's gradebook and classroom management software developer. I did eventually pay a small price for it, but that's not the point.

Now that lots of folks spend time in chatrooms, maybe we can beta test it if you feel like developing this into something more than what it is now. There is nothing wrong with developing another good source of revenue...and maybe this could work.

Of course, if you don't feel like playing around with it anymore, that's a horse of a different color!

Actually, HopeRich has done most of the beta testing over the past year (she's currently the entirety of the installed user base) and has been on top of suggestions, etc.

I just have to find the most recent version of the source code, as the one I found yesterday was horribly broken. (Didn't work more than once...)

I'm not trying to be mercenary about this stuff, but considering the support issues I got over the Waydale CD Archive, (how difficult is it to put in a CD and read the ONLY file that shows up? Sheesh!) I doubt very seriously there'll be any more supported freebies.

Of course the workman is worthy of his hire! The guy I'm talking about knocked off 50%.

Do what you think best. Suggestions are just that...and sometimes they aren't worth the paper they're written on

I had a few moments to work on the ChatChek program, but apparently the GS Chat Room is not available at the old URL any more, so ChatChek is kaput at the moment, possibly forever.

Sorry!

Zix the Mostly-Itinerant