GreaseSpot Cafe

CES (not the offshoot) Show in Las Vegas

Nottawayfer

My husband has a recording studio. Every year he attends two large conferences in Las Vegas. CES (Consumer Electronics Show) is one of them. I went with him. I actually dreaded it: a long day of walking and looking at stuff in which I had no interest. But it was time to spend with hubby, so I went.

I went to the ladies room, and when I walked out you won't believe who I saw. Vincent Pastore (*****) from Sopranos! Being a huge fan of the show, I looked at him with big eyes and a huge smile. You just don't run in to celebrities every time you come out the public restroom, but all I could remember was "*****!" I didn't want to call him that, so I just said "Hey, good to see you!" He was very pleasant and shook my hand and said it was good to see me also.

I walked away trying for the life of me to remember his real name.

Later that day, we saw Les Paul, Neal Schon, and Ike Turner in the Gibson Guitar area.

I've been a huge fan of Journey since I was just a youngin, so it was great to see Neal Schon. He has a new band formed called Soul Sirkus. I went to the website soulsirkus.com, but the music just doesn't compare to Journey and Steve Perry's voice.

We heard that Jackie Chan was there too, but we never caught up with him.

I thought this ws a hoot:

LAS VEGAS (January 6) - Despite suffering technical glitches that prompted jokes and guffaws, Bill Gates promised Wednesday that Microsoft Corp. would help millions of consumers stay seamlessly plugged into a world of digital music, movies, video games and television shows.

In his seventh annual keynote speech at the annual International Consumer Electronics Show, Microsoft's chairman explained that the proliferation of broadband Internet access and the falling price of data storage are compelling people to put music, photos, movies and other aspects of their life into a digital format.

"We predicted at the beginning of this decade that this would be a decade where the digital approach would be taken for granted," Gates told hundreds of technologists who gathered for his kickoff to the world's largest electronics show. "It's going even faster than we expected."

But while promoting what he calls the "digital lifestyle," Gates showed how vulnerable all consumers - even the world's richest man - are to hardware and software bugs.

During a demonstration of digital photography with a soon-to-be-released Nikon camera, a Windows Media Center PC froze and wouldn't respond to Gates' pushing of the remote control.

Later in the 90-minute presentation, a product manager demonstrated the ostensible user-friendliness of a video game expected to hit retail stores in April, Forza Motor Sport. But instead of configuring a custom-designed race car, the computer monitor displayed the dreaded "blue screen of death" and warned, "out of system memory."

The errors - which came during what's usually an ode to Microsoft's dominance of the software industry and its increasing control of consumer electronics - prompted the celebrity host, NBC comedian Conan O'Brien, to quip, "Who's in charge of Microsoft, anyway?"