GreaseSpot Cafe

Anyone seen the film "Luther"?

Cynic

We saw it at a cinema that does indie type films. It is excellent, startling, violent, and, so far as i can remember, quite faithful. Naturally, condensing Luther's life into a 2 hour film means choices must be made, so there are many omissions I wish were there. Nonetheless, this far outshines the Richard Burton B&W versions.

In some instances the fact of an aspect or event in Luther's life are not spelled out, only hinted at. I'm thinking Franco Zefferelli's Jesus of Nazareth as opposed to the execrable (imo) Jesus film...

Highly reccommended.

Common themes? I suppose so. Luther, for one.

One interesting facet they chose to highlight is the rebellion among the peasants that broke out when Luther was in hiding & writing in the castle. One of Luther's protege's turned Luther's spiritual message political. The peasants rebelled, smashing any symbols of Roman idolatry/oppression. of course, this event had an hoffific end as you might expect.

They did a nice job of showing wicked sense of humor & satire for which he was well known. I don't think I remember that from the Burton portrayal.