GreaseSpot Cafe

Alaska

bumpyrama

• 2 months later...

Linus and Sue Mathis is in Palmer with their two kids Linus IV, and Lydia. L IV is thirty five though, and newly married. Kevin and Shannon Nye are in Haines, AK with their kids. Gerry and Casandra Byrne are in Eagle River as is also Molly Morris Erickson. Paul Marmora and his wife are in Anchorage as is also Chris Dietrich. Maureen Dilly is somewhere in Anchorage I think, and so is Mike Smith. Steve Lowder has recently move to Arizona. Big George "Handcrusher" Sandlin is still in Delta Junction with Kay.

I don't think any of these people are with The Way any more. The only one running an organized offshoot of TWI is Linus Mathis. I and my family participate there once in awhile, and it is very nice. It's called Frontier Christian Ministries.

Edited by Guest

• 3 weeks later...

Johnny...you're in Alaska? Wow. What part, if you don't mind me asking.

My daughter and I used to live with the Mo (when she was married to S****)...back in the bad old days of my twi life. Our son was born in Palmer, but I don't recognize the folks names you mentioned.

Do you know if Annie (don't remember her last name) and her husband are still in Wasilla? Or Chuck and Lorna P*** in Big Lake? Do you ever talk to Mike? I would love to hear from/about any of these folks.

sig000.jpg

• 10 months later...

I am now in Haines,AK. I did live in Juneau from '82 to '84, and then moved up to Kenai to run the twig area there from '84 to '86. That was when we were in The Way. Now, I am just here working although I am in touch with the Mathis's and the Nyes, as well as the people down in Juneau who are some of our dearest friends from old Way days. Blue and Deb Bergmann, who were our best man and best old lady at our wedding are among our friends in Juneau. There is also Mary Govina Almeida, who now lives in Palmer with her husband Tony and two boys, and also Rob and Joanna Vanslyke Donovan, who now live in Two Rivers near Fairbanks. I ran into Patty Hanrahan who is now no longer married to Dan, and she lives in Willow. I bumped into her when she was bartending at the notorious Dead Dog Saloon on the corner of Parks Highway and Pittman Road just north of Wasilla. The Dead Dog has recently been re-named as the "Borealis Beach Club". But it is still the same titty bar that it was as the Dead Dog though. Patty only bartends though, and she works in the afternoon until nine at night...

I haven't bumped into Mike Smith yet, but I did get an e-mail Steve Louder, his brother in law saying that he and Beth have moved to Arizona.

This winter, while I was in Delta Junction working at the Ft Greeley Ground Based Anti Missile Defense site, I sat down at the counter of a cafe and had coffee with none other than George "Handcrusher" Sandlin. He remembered me immediately, and extended his big old paw and asked me if he should be nice to my hand. I told him to go for it, and although he has never been able to hurt me if I got a good initial grip, I will tell you, that for a 69 year old man, he still has the right to be called "Hand Crusher" George. Man is he strong! He said that he and Kay are still with The Way because they never found anything better than PFAL. I had to agree with him on the PFAL thing, but I had to tell him that Martindale threw me out and he agreed that Martindale did get too much "into legalism" but that he was gone now...

Molly Morris Erickson lives in Eagle River with her husband Paul, and last I heard, they were doing well. We tried to get together with them, but they didn't return our phone calls, so we quit trying to get in touch with them. Also in Anchorage is Chris Dietrich of the Seventh Corps. She is now an RN and has been working her new nursing job so intensely that we didn't have a chance to get with her when we lived in Wasilla last year. Rick and Connie Vann still live in Kasilof, and their company, Sundance Construction has grown and they are doing well. Gene and Carolynn Roushe live in Kasilof also, and Gene works with Rick and Sundance all of the time. I hung a bunch of sheetrock for Rick in both Juneau and Haines back in 1995 and '96. Another couple of folks are Paul Marmora and his wife, up in Anchorage. I only hear from them through e-mail, and it has been awhile. It seems to me that most of the folks I have mentioned have simply gone back to work, still love God of course, but are not involved too much as a TWI offshoot, except for the Mathis's in Palmer I guess..

Cool Waters, if you look in the "Every Picture tells a story" thread under Jonny Lingo, I have a bunch of pictures posted there. It may be way down on page three or four by now, and I haven't checked to see if what Pawtucket said about "the pictures being back up" is in fact a fact. Cool Waters, I think we have had this conversation before, and you in fact posted at my photo thread...

• 3 weeks later...

I would love for those of us in Alaska to get together some time.. Would love to hold a BBQ at my house or maybe rent cabins at the lake for the weekend.

We live a ways away from others and it would be nice for us all get together.

If interested email me, click on my name

Digi

• 1 year later...

Just updating here ................ We are no longer in Anchorage but are in the Matanuska Valley North of Anchorage. We are living in our Cabin and developing our property. We have 5 acres of beautiful land with a great babbling brook that runs through the northeast corner in summer. In the winter the babbling brook is just another frozen spawning stream that leads into the Little Susitna River.

Its a beatiful valley and we are here most of the time for any of you alakans who want to come by or visitors who want to come up.

My medical is back in order and it makes it so much easier to entertain guests again.

Digi.

P.S Johny if you have deer down there I would love to come down to hunt ......... Absolutely love venison

• 9 months later...

I amd developing a love for Alaska.

Received this from a friend in Wendover NV:

Funny that you should talk about the people. They are the kindest, most genuine people you could ever run across. This is the second time we have gone to Alaska, and the people are always kind and considerate. More so than any other place we have visited. Maybe it's because they know they are headed for the rough part of the year when it is dark and harsh and they have few visitors. I don't know, but if you ever have a chance to go, take it.
My boss went to Alaska a couple of years ago and came back with nothing but great memories, and Ralph and Joanne Anderson sent me a happy postcard from that place when they visited a few years ago (My oh my how time flies when you're having fun).

Also on 9/24/06 "Extreme Home Makeover" Ty Pennington and his wonderful design team went to Alaska and with help from Alaska people who were so thankful to be able to give like that, gave a family of 13 a new house. It was a treasure to watch.

It seems that Alaska is for building people of mountainous size hearts.