GreaseSpot Cafe

Yom Kippur

Abigail

The Days of Awe are winding to a close and Yom Kippur is approaching.

I found this and thought I would share.

Excerpts from a sharing by Rabbi Shai Gluskin.

"It seems odd that the goat which bore our sins would remain alive. Later interpretations, however, claimed that the goat for Azalzel was sent away to die, and there are elaborate descriptions of the goat being pushed off a high craggy desert peak to its death. This interpretation has our sins being toted far away to die in impressive fashion.

I have found it helpful to create my own image of what might have happened to that goat in the desert and what it does symbolically for us. These imaginings are inspired by my own trips to the desert . . .

I imagine that the goat that is offered up to God represents the sins we have already worked through, and the goat sent to the desert are those deficiencies which continue to reverberate through us, repeating themselves in predictable yet destructive patterns. The desert is a good place to get clarity and vision to release us from the debilitating patterns.. . .

So when Aaron confesses for the Community of Israel and leans his hands on the goat (the word for lean samakh also means "trust"), he's beginning a process that might lead to our "coming out" into the light of our true selves. By trusting that goat, Aaron is also sending us with the goat into the desert. He does this so that we can have the light of the desert shine on our souls while the goat caries our stuckness for us. By traversing the desert without the burden of our sins, we can begin to get an image of ourselves that can survive without our destructive behaviors. For in the corners of our civilized places, we have hidden successfully with our poorer selves and become dependant upon living with them. In the desert we are free from them.

Neither Yom Kippur of today nor an elaborate ancient ritual will magically purify us. But we can take time, whether in an actual desert, or the space of prayer, or simple reflection, to find the open and sunlit places that allow us to see that part of us which was created in the image of God, and which can bring great gifts into this world."

Abigail

Thanks for a wonderful article. When I apply its meaning to my faith, I find myself appreciating what Jesus did for me. I am not disrepecting your faith, mine has its roots in Judaism. I am seeing how the messiah's sacrifice purifies me and gives me hope when I take my inevitable walks in the desert.

Great thread and I hope your holy day is very special.

Roy and Def, thank you and I am glad you enjoyed it. I may add another piece later this evening.

Def, no offense taken, I'm glad you were able to get something out of it that blessed you. Our faiths are not opposing, they are kin. I still believe in what Jesus taught and am learning to understand it in an entirely different light. icon_smile.gif:)-->

We went and performed Taschlich (I know I am spelling that terribly wrong) tonight. This is where you throw bread to the ducks, or in our case fish, and each piece represents something you did wrong in the past year and want to change in the next. It was very sweet watching the children and I think it is a very concrete way for them to let go of their own feelings of guilt or shame and move forward.