GreaseSpot Cafe

Computer tips, tricks and suggestions

igotout

Well, as I said I do not seem to be losing any functionality except the auto download thing and I do not mind that at all.

Goey, note, I am not suggesting that a person delete the plug ins. Rather, to move them to a floder that already exists, created by ADOBE that says "Put unused plug-ins in the optional directory."

To quote someone else concerning this matter:

By moving all the plug-ins to the Optional directory, the "plug-ins will still work, they just won’t be loaded at startup" but rather as Adobe needs them.

Therefore I still believe this is an awesome tip, shaving more that just a few seconds off slow poke Adobe opening on some systems.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John,

quote:
By moving all the plug-ins to the Optional directory, the "plug-ins will still work, they just won’t be loaded at startup" but rather as Adobe needs them.

This is incorrect as should be obvious by the failure of auto update function.

Best that I can tell - they don't work at all. Ebooks wont work, snapshoot tool wont work, read out loud won't work, send mail won't work and various mulitmedia and internet features won't work. Adobe will not use then as they are needed.

This "awesome" tip reduces AR60 to a somewhat featureless and basic PDF reader that loads very fast. But if that's what turns your crank ....

Well, I guess if I ever need Ebooks, snapshoot tool, or send mail I will put them back in. I can do without all the so called features. If I want a new folder created in My Documents called "Ebooks" (which reappears even after you delete the thing), I would prefer to create it myself.

I just want to be able to read and print a PDF and not for it to take all day to open. Other users may need some of these but not me. And it seems easy to just use them when needed.

How to find out what the plug ins do

People complaining about Slow 6

Maybe Adobe should leave them all out so it opens faster. They could prompt the user to install a plug-in either temporarily or permanently as needed.

But what can we expect for free. Can't complain either way.

How about this, Goey? I haven't tried it yet because its too much work for lazy me.

"To disable loading of Plugins in Acrobat 6 press sihft key immediatly after starting Acrobat."

John,

Look at the file size of the various plug-ins.

The big ones over (1 mb) are the ones that really slow down the program start up. (Send mail and some others are very small and take very little time to load. On the other hand the multimedia and annotes plug in alre large and time consuming. Why not disable the big one and leave the little one alone?

My only reason for bringing anything up at all was to point out that there is almost always a price to pay when you do these kind of hacks to software - something you did not mention (or know) when you first posted on this.

Yes, the shift key works. Loads almost instantly but with absolutely no plug-ins.