GreaseSpot Cafe

Designing a CD

herbiejuan

I'm have been asked to assist a group with implimenting a curriculum grant. This grant will help county extension agents learn organic production tehniquues. This project may involve creating a cd which would idealy include video, illustrations, narrative, diagrams tables etc.

My question is, just how technically difficult is this? Are there online tutorials and/or these programs themselves that I can take a look at? In all likelyhood the actual production work will be done by a local college but I'd like to take a look-see at what it involves and what kind of content we will be needing to come up with.

Thanks

Mikey

Mikey: It's pretty simple. You could make the whole thing a big PowerPoint presentation, or use various HTML tools like Shockwave. In fact, you can even code the whole thing like a web site and dump all the content to the CD. That way it wouldn't be limited to just PCs able to view it.

• 1 month later...

Zix I have office xp pro which has powerpoint on it, in fact I've been playing with it and it looks fairly simple (keeping fingers crossed).

Another project I am moving forward on is a psa for local grown sustainable products entitled the face behind the food, to emphasis the relationship between our growers and the land as well as the integrity with which they grow it.

I looked on freedownload for an editing tool and found one from ulead which looked useful but then I called the college media dept who told me they could produce it for @ $500 if we provided the people and script. Alice our director is working on the script and we may get to film this at the conference here next year (ya gonna make it if it is?) ((LOTS of hippy chicks)) ((ok middle aged hippie chicks going through menopause but hippie chicks none the less))

icon_eek.gif

icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

There is a free Microsoft Plug-In for PowerPoint 2002 & 2003 called Microsoft Producer that can help integrate video better into a PowerPoint show. Download it from Microsoft's PowerPoint page.

If you want video editing on a budget, Pinnacle Studio 9 is the way to go. Best Buy had the Studio AV/DV package on sale last week for $79, including an analog capture card. The software itself usually retails for $99, although you can usually get it for less.

If you need to capture video off of a computer screen (and the program doesn't support AVI capture) then look at the screen recorder called CamStudio.

Right now, I'm in the process of helping some guys on the Net do a fan-video off of a videogame. Should be fun.

I'm considering taking a media course next semester just to familiarize myself with the production process. We are working with a diversely skilled staff on designing a series of courses for ag agents, colleges, high schools etc. so having the ability to do some basic shots and editing might come in handy.

Hey waygb if ya got one of them million dollar cameras yer not using why not send it my way, I promise I will say something nice about you in the forums.

Really

icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Different subject, same general direction...

Zix...I appreciate your technical help, it helps me fill in important details.

Is wireless truly wireless?

Can I connect from the middle of a pecan plantation or are there limitations? How expensive are the plug ins and is the service reasonable?

Wireless can go about 100 feet outdoors. I can sit in my back yard and connect to my wireless router through the wall with no problems.

The service? There isn't any extra charge for service, because it's a hardware thing. You need DSL or Cable modem to make it worthwhile, but you could just as easily use it to access a phone modem on an inside computer.

It goes:

Internet==>cable/DSL modem==>wireless router==>your computers.

You can get a wireless router for about $59 nowadays. You need a wireless network connector for each PC or laptop, typically a little USB device or a PCMCIA card. Those go for $43-$79 each. That's really all you need.