GreaseSpot Cafe

Server

herbiejuan

What with all the organic ag groups around setting up websites I was wondering the merits of using seperate servers, webmasters and design teams to run these things.

I've seen dedicated servers running from $70 a month with resale options and it seems to me that consolidating stuff might save alot of otherwise wasted energy keeping up with stuff.

There has been talk of opening a commercial site but there is no immediate plan to pursue it other than a listing of member farms.

quote:
Originally posted by herbiejuan:

In other words...

what is the difference between dedicated managed host at $70 a month and dedicated managed host at $1500 a month or $500??

Such a wide price range puzzles me.

Part of the difference is just price. You can pay anywhere from $12 - $125 for two shirts that are basically identical in important features.

Part of the difference is in service (folks at the $12 store may not know much about shirts or even their store - folks at the $125 store will probably give you a glass of wine).

Part of the price difference is actual features difference. There are some shirts that have better cloth, better stitching, better buttons, better cut and drape. Often the better ones cost more than the other, but not always. Just like men are taller than women in general but I know a bunch of gals that are taller than me.

The trick is knowing what features you want, and how to judge the service. THEN get the best price.

I've put up several sites for many companies I own and never gotten a dedicated managed host. I suspect it's over-kill for most needs.

I'm happy with a hosting service that costs $10 per monthEZpublishing.com but am looking at moving to one that cost $7 BlueHost.com.

I'm going to ditch one that cost $5 per month.1and1.com

The reason for all this switching is not the money ($10 per month is not a whole lot different than $5) but the mix of features and how they impliment them is more suited to my liking.

Hope that helps.

Thanks 3cents

What I have in mind is a database of information from our conferences that could be downloaded to a persons computer. Some will be primarily text but some will be video clips and interactive forms.

My main concern is bandwidth usage as I have no idea how many hits or downloads this would bring but we are embarking on a two year curriculum development program and there is a possability of putting some courses online.

My secondary concern is web service fees going out of house when I feel fairly confident we already have sufficient web managment skills in house so to speak. In addition some of these sites could use a serious makeover which seems to be a long drawn out process (if it ever gets done) While I realise managing multiple websites is not childs play, my thinking is we'd get better overall service at a lower cost if we developed our own resources but I do see your point about overkill.

I tend to forward think alot and if an idea has merit, do a bit of legwork to learn what is involved which is what I am doing now. Shortly I will talk with some folks about it for feedback n then take it from there.

Managing a site and hosting a site are not the same thing.

If you are your own host, then you're responsible for the computer, it's connection to the internet, balancing the load of hits, doing regular backups, fending off viruses and DOS attacks and keeping down time to a minimum.

Unless you love doing that stuff and have experience you're better off buying the service from folks who are set up to do it 24/7.

You'll still have to manage the site - by that I mean desing and build the files, pages, video etc that people have access to. And making changes keeping all that stuff up to date. If your site runs a database, you're responsible for designing it, putting data it, keeping it current etc.

You'll just "rent" hosting services as a place to put all that stuff. When you rent hosting space, some of the places I mentioned include databases (meaning database engines that you have to build to your likeing) and also have space for downloadable videos etc. You will have to pay more than the minimum if you use a lot of bandwidth (lots of hits with lots of data going out).

My understanding of the "dedicated server" bit is this: Without a dedicated server, your files live on a disk drive in your own folders. But there are probably other sites hosted on the same drive on the same computer. (In different folders of course.) With dedicated servers the company rents you your own computer and no one else's stuff is on it. I've never cared about the dedicated server so I may not be right about that.

Hope that helps.