GreaseSpot Cafe

Software for Picture Slideshows on CD

igotout

I just bought a Sony Dogital Still Camera (Cybershot). It came with software for making slideshows.

Rascal's 15-year-old has made a slide show of the 98 pics we've taken here so far the past few days. It's great fun to watch!

From watching her I believe I'll be able to do the same once she's not with me to do it for me (plus, there's a 129 page instruction book).

Ugothope - please check your PT

I do this a lot in my job for funerals - I use PowerPoint. (I've also done it for happier occasions on the side).

I start by cleaning the photos up in Adobe PhotoShop (version 7.0, I think, but it's on my other computer). After cropping, balancing the contrast and color, and sharpening them, I remove any scratches or "noise". It's easier if the photos are digital to begin with.

By using PowePoint I can set the timing of the advancement of the slides, set different animation to the way the slides advance, use whatever music I want, etc. I like the consistancy of the results. I've tried this with some other programs and the timing of the music & the visual will be off with different computers. Another reason I like PowerPoint for this is that there's not "cutsie" factor with it - there's no built-in cheesy animation or ugly graphics - unless you add them - with it.

Getting the timing down (the slideshow and the music) can be a little tough sometimes in PowerPoint - if you use instramental music it's easier to stop a song before it really ends. I have also used AudioSurgeon to edit or mix my own music for a slideshow.

p.s.

It doesn't matter if your pics are jpg or tiff or bmp (bitmap) - PowerPoint can "read" all formats.

Thanks for these tips! Power Point sounds interesting. I have the latest version already. My daughter is beginning to use it for shcool stuff. It looks easy to master and I am sure there is an abundance of support for it out there.

But Chas, will the burned slideshow play on someone else's computer who does not own Power Point and does not care to install a Power Point Viewer?

And Zixar I am definitely getting Pinnacle someday anyway beause I have read such good things about it and its DVD capabilites. Same question to you....does the recipient of the photo slide show need anything special?

BOWTWI, thanks but I am probably going with PP or Pinnacle, probably both.

PowerPoint has a "Pack & Go" feature that you can burn on the disk when you copy your slideshow. It includes a viewer but I think you will find that most of these creative software programs that would allow you to make slideshows will have you do something similar - they all want to plug their own product, somehow...

You can also save the program as a ".pps", which means PowerPoint Slideshow - this makes it so the slideshow only will run when it double cllicked on and the slides will be viewed as a show - but not in the slide format you saw them in to make the show. In otherwords, it's like an "auto run" command - it will automatically run the show.

John: It's on sale this week at Best Buy for just $49 after rebates. That's a steal for Studio 9.

If you render your slideshow into a video file, then all they'll need is Windows Media Player. (Just don't render to MPEG-2 unless they have a software DVD player--although Studio 9 will let you author a DVD directly, so they could play it in an ordinary DVD player.)