GreaseSpot Cafe

U. of Utah vs. U. of Arizona

Zshot

THis game is this Saturday 11 SEP 04.

My Uncle is coming down from SLC Utah to see this game (and see me). My Uncle's son CASEY EVANS is going to be a starter icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

I may live in AZ, but I gotta root for my cousin icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Article Last Updated: 9/09/2004 08:29 AM

Walk-on suddenly must be up to full speed

By Michael C. Lewis

The Salt Lake Tribune

Salt Lake Tribune

UTAH at ARIZONA

Saturday, 8 p.m. MDT, KJZZ

Safety Casey Evans was as shocked as anybody else to find himself forced into the game for the Utah Utes in their season-opening victory over Texas A&M last week.

Now, facing the first start of his young career at Arizona on Saturday, the walk-on sophomore is simply trying not to be overwhelmed.

"There's a little more nerves than usual,” he said. "But you just have to prepare harder.”

Evans was thrust into the lineup against the Aggies when the Utes' top two strong safeties - sophomore Eric Weddle and senior Kawika Casco - were injured. The former Olympus High standout made five tackles and played well, and has shaved his hair into a Mohawk in honor of Casco, who'd done the same at the start of training camp.

The Utes are going to need him to stop Arizona running back Mike Bell. The junior was Second Team All-Pac-10 last season after rushing for 920 yards and six touchdowns.

"You just have to be ready,” Evans said. "It's my job, and I won't be out there if I'm not doing it.”

Surgery sidelines Walker

Junior receiver Justin Walker had surgery Wednesday to repair ligament damage in his right hand, and will miss the game at Arizona. Walker was hurt in practice earlier this week.

The Utes said he is questionable to play at Utah State on Sept. 18, and Meyer said he encouraged Walker to have the surgery right away in hopes of being fully recovered in time for the Mountain West Conference opener against Air Force on Sept. 25.

Goodbye, Longhorns?

Fans won't get a chance to see the Texas Longhorns in Rice-Eccles Stadium anytime soon. The Utes and Longhorns have canceled three games between them scheduled for 2007, 2008 and 2009.

The Utes had to push back one nonconference game from the schedule next season, athletic director Chris Hill said, to accommodate TCU as a new member of the Mountain West. And of the scheduled nonconference games next year, a matchup against Oregon State was the best choice, Hill said, because the Utes have not started a series with it yet.

Hill wanted to push the games against the Beavers into the spots occupied by the Texas games - the 2008 meeting was to have been in Salt Lake City - and the Longhorns obliged. However, Hill said he's still negotiating with Texas to schedule other games in the future.

mcl@sltrib.com