GreaseSpot Cafe

dmiller--gypsy roots?

Linda Z

Hey David, I might have stumbled across info about some of your distant cousins. This could be where you got your "roving minstrel" tendencies! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Check this out, especially the section called "Kings & Queens and funeral traditions":

http://oldbrooklyn.com/history110101.html

BTW, the Brooklyn Hts. in this newsletter is a city in the Greater Cleveland area.

Linda -- thanks. But not the same Millers. icon_smile.gif:)-->

When my paternal great-grandad came from Germany, his name was Mueller. He changed it to Miller sometime after arriving in America. He didn't have that many kids, and they all stayed in southern Illinois, where he had chosen to move to.

The "roving minstrel tendencies" (am hoping that is a good thing) icon_eek.gif came from the maternal side of the family. Their name was McEwen and they emigrated from Scotland.

I have a fiddle made by one of my ancestors. He made it for himself and carried it with him in his travels throughout the "west" playing for who knows how many square dances, get togethers, etc. The original case is here with it too, and it looks like a little wooden coffin. I don't use the case (it is too cumbersome), but the fiddle still plays as sweet as ever, even today. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Now if it were McEwens in the "king and queen funeral tradition" section instead of Miller, ya might be on to something. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

That's very cool that you have your ancestor's fiddle. What a treasure. And of course being a roving minstrel is a good thing.

I didn't figure these were really your Millers, but it made me chuckle and I had to share the laugh with you.

The cemetery where these Millers are buried has a high percentage of Germans buried there. Actually, I was surprised there were gypsies named Miller. I've always picture gypsies as swarthy, dark-haired people, not folks more inclined to blonde hair and blue eyes. icon_smile.gif:)-->

The fiddle makes much more sense with your Scottish heritage. Just think, you could have been a yodeler instead of a fiddle picker!