GreaseSpot Cafe

Peter Jennings is Dead

Raf

I experienced Peter Jennings as a sauve and sophisticated anchor, always the consumate gentleman. He engaged the viewer in a thoughtful discourse of current events in contrast to Rather's sometimes abrasive manner and Texas homespun stabs at humor and Brokaw's punctuating the news with quips and grins.

As a progressive (liberal) myself I didn't experience Jennings as having betrayed his political sentiments. Perhaps he did so on those newscasts that I missed but I always thought he was much more fair and balanced than the channel that has registered that slogan as it's trademark.

Thanks to The Highway for reminding us that neither liberalism nor conservatism are panaceas.

quote:
In my opinion, the truth is somewhere in the middle, and that's the beauty of the American system... the political bodies may swing far one way or far the other way, but ultimately they tend to balance each other out in the long run.