GreaseSpot Cafe

Re: Activities for 2 and 4 year old children to develop cognitive skills

reikilady

wave.gif:wave:-->I have an interview for a position that requires setting up in home learning and care of a 2 year old and a 4 year old. One of the main duties is to have activities for learning that are age appropriate and helpful to their learning development.

Most people are thinking that they don't want to spend 45 hours a week with two small children. I want to check this out. The hours are great for being available for my part time business and daughter's activities for sports.

So if anyone knows of any authors that are really good about this stuff or any suggestions...please let me know.

My interview is on Saturday morning...I am excited about this!

If you go to the teacher suggestions thread and find the post that has the ERIC link, just click on that and plug in early childhood or pre-school cognitive activities and you should find lots of articles. Also, interventioncentral.org is a good one too. Also, can do a search on the NASP website:

National Assoc. of School Psychologists

Look up preschool teacher sites. They will have tons of activities. Matching, sorting, counting, puzzles, patterns, sequencing, reading, singing, poems,fingerplays, wordplays, blocks, manipulatives,texture--all have cognitive benefits.

You should be able to get some early childhood /preschool /emergent/developmental (words you might use to search)curriculum books at the library or university library, too.

I'm lead teacher and curriculum director of a developmental preschool, so that's what I do all day.

I have decided that taking care of 2 kids under 5 for 9 hours straight, 5 days a week isn't what I really want to do. Even with structured activities and taking the older one to her activities....it would be very difficult.

I need to get out there with my college experience.