GreaseSpot Cafe

Windows xp

herbiejuan

Did you do a clean install or install XP over the top opf Windows 98?

I always recommend a complete reformat of the hard drive and start with a fresh install of XP. Definitely better than upgrading over another OS.

And while you are at it, buy a newer, larger hard drive. Todays drives are cheap and just made better all the way around.

If you are using one from an old system you might want to ditch it and start fresh. The new one, of course, will have less chance of failure as well.

If you are using a high speed internet connection, remove your modem. You will never use it anyway.

Install a new graphics card, 64 mB or above. (Same concept and reasons as hard drive.)

Thanks guys icon_smile.gif:)-->

Igot I did a fresh install but left my old 40 gig in there because...I couldn't get a straight answer from the Staples folks how to go about formatting the new drive, something about partitions and boot disks and they didn't know and I SURE didn't know, so I thought better off leaving that alone for now.

I did reload the java machine and it works fine tho icon_smile.gif:)-->

I've got Nortons Internet Security and Antivirus and Business Logic's WinCleaner '03 and would like to load Lavasofts Adaware but haven't because (next question coming up) I've heard there could be a conflict somewhere with Norton, this is true yes? Is there a way around it?

BTW I just LOVE my XP it runs alot smoother n the 98 did and the accessory pack that came with it, Word and Media sure make writing term papers a snap. I got a free version from school cuz of some deal they have with Microsoft, I suggest ifn yer a student somewhere and would like and upgrade to check with ITS and see if they have a similar agreement with the Bill.

Thanks,

Mike

Thanks guys icon_smile.gif:)-->

Igot I did a fresh install but left my old 40 gig in there because...I couldn't get a straight answer from the Staples folks how to go about formatting the new drive, something about partitions and boot disks and they didn't know and I SURE didn't know, so I thought better off leaving that alone for now.

I did reload the java machine and it works fine tho icon_smile.gif:)-->

I've got Nortons Internet Security and Antivirus and Business Logic's WinCleaner '03 and would like to load Lavasofts Adaware but haven't because (next question coming up) I've heard there could be a conflict somewhere with Norton, this is true yes? Is there a way around it?

BTW I just LOVE my XP it runs alot smoother n the 98 did and the accessory pack that came with it, Word and Media sure make writing term papers a snap. I got a free version from school cuz of some deal they have with Microsoft, I suggest ifn yer a student somewhere and would like and upgrade to check with ITS and see if they have a similar agreement with the Bill.

Thanks,

Mike

Well, I am not sure why Ad Aware would conflict. All you can do is try it. Unistall it if there is a problem.

Not sure why you would need WinCleaner. What does that do? Not sure what it is.

The main thing herbie, is to try to keep so many things from running in the background.

A clue is that little section there by the clock. Another place to look, of course is the Startup menu, A third place to look is under MSCONFIG, a 4th place to look is at all the Services you have running.

Don't let anyone tell you that computers are simple. It is for those who are lucky enough to have an IT person on their staff or a computer geek in the family. But the average person out there still has an abundance of things to deal with, some of which are a bit complex.

Thank god TV's aren't so bad or automobiles.

But on the positive side, when you get that "bad boy" tuned up to the max it can be a a lot of fun and very productive.

John R.

HEy, is this a Pentium 3 or a Pentium 4?

Another product similar to AdAware is SpyHunter - it finds things that AdAware doesn't - it even searches through the registry!

SpyHunter is free BUT - and that's an awful big but - the removal service costs. So if you know how to delete files and cookies and registry settings, then SpyHunter is a good deal.

Steve! Correct me if I am wrong but AdAware also searches through the registry. One of its features is called

"Deep scanning of local Registry"

In fact most spyware imbeds itself deep into the registry (How dare they! )

Another good one and free one is called "Spybot Search and Destroy."

They have intensive detailed features, almost too much to deal with. They claim to have invented the model that Ad Aware is founded upon and apparently there is a nasty lawsuit underway.

BTW - Ad Aware has released build 181 for version 6. It is fast and easy to use, and best of all free. Do a google searc an you will find it. Install the latest version over the old is fine.

Thanks guys, my norton virus program loaded just fine but my internet security thang that came with it won't. I've loaded adaware and it works fine as did the wincleaner. Wincleaner simplifies cleaning my drive of temp folders cookies and clutter, I fergit if I bought this or if it came with another program but it works too.

Ummm now that I've loaded xp I am getting one persistant popup telling me that they can solve my popup problem (convenient isn't it considering they are the only popups I get icon_mad.gif ) Shell suggested buying their service but that seems like extortion to me and I won't do it. For now I simply consign them to whatever hell it is they go to when they are deleted.

I've gotten a couple of docs from a cousin of mine that word won't recognise, even did the web search thang to no avail, it was an attachment and ought to have worked but didn't, any suggestions on how to figure out what program could be used to open them? I didn't notice a zip file but it does start off like this...sign_me.doc?

Ahh puzzlement of puzzlements, what awaits me on the other side of this file attachment...

icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Thanks guys

Go to Start/COntrol Panel/Administrative Tools/Services and disable the Messenger service. Then head over to google.com and download their latest toolbar, which has a popup killer in it.

...scratching the itch of the mortal unknown...

Okay, I loaded the latest AdAware, and ran it.

Here is the upshot:

Spyhunter (as far as I know, no relation to SpyBot) caught several things missed by AdAware.

BUT - and again, that's an awful big but (gee, doesn't that sound familiar?) - Ad-Aware caught a few things that SpyHunter didn't!