GreaseSpot Cafe

Teen well rounded with spirituality, athleticism and scholarship

GT

Another TWIt high schooler making the local newspaper in Ohio. Free advertising for TWI?

http://www.limaohio.com/story.php?IDnum=20667

NEW KNOXVILLE — New Knoxville High School senior Tori Mason seeks out new challenges be it in the classroom, as a leader, on the field or through her church. She has no single favorite subject but math does offer some satisfaction. She is taking an advanced calculus class via the Internet.

Tori, who is the daughter of Brooks and Ann Mason, said her favorite things to do are to hang out with friends, to meet new people and to read. She said she likes literature from all genres and time periods.

The teenager is a member of The Way International where she does volunteer work during services such as acting as an usher.

Is this the same woman who did the other articles, Greasy?

What's the purpose of the story, I wonder.

Are they doing stories like this on ALL the kids in the school?

Is Pam Dunno a TWIt?

Was this a sought out story or was it a "submitted" article?

And WHY didn't this show up in my "inbox"? :P

So many questions..............

Is this the same woman who did the other articles,???
Probably. The Lima News is a pretty small newspaper and they don't have a lot of beat writers, probably one maybe two.
What's the purpose of the story, I wonder.

Seems to me like the story is designed to give TWI an air of legitimacy, a "like any other church" pespective. The article only opens mentioning "her church" then mentions how she plans to put off college to participate in an outreach program "to spread the Word of God through her church..." how she is excited about that because it "will really help me get my spiritual priorites right." "The most important thing is to serve God, starting her "independant life right." The the article closes conspicuously stating how she is a member of The Way International (as if that's news) where she does volunteer work, acting as an usher.

Even the title mentions "spirituality" first.

The author must be a wafer.

Isn't the subliminal message of the article, "Here's a kid who has her life's priorities "right" SHE is going WOW (or whatever they call it nowadays) putting of her worldly education to serve TWI, she's a leader, an exceptional person, well rounded and she's in TWI.... did I mention she's part of TWI? Her, the exceptional leader of people person that is."

It is syrupy sticky, dripping w/pro TWI enuendo. PLUS. Locals almost NEVER call TWI "The Way International" they call it "The Way." A local would have written, "The Teenagere is a member of The Way...."

NOPE.

Not to lessen any of Tori's accomplishments. She IS an exceptional student. I know her, she's a good friend of my daughter Jasmine who was a year ahead of Tori at NK school. Neither I nor Jasmine are jealous of Tori for getting the ink in the article. I'm gonna throw out some facts, you draw your own conclusions.

Jasmine was in some of the same activities with Tori and did the same thigns categorically as she. Jaz was one of less than 1% of ALL high school students in the country to be nominated and named to BOTH the National Honor Roll AND Who's Who Among American High School Students FOUR years in a row.

And. Jaz was a National Merit Scholar, one of only 200 students in the entire country to win the highest level award. Plus she was one of only about five students in the entire state of Ohio to be accepted at Yale. The only one within a 100 mile radius of Lima.

All of my proud papa bragging about MY daughter aside. The Lima News didn't write one word about Jasmine.

PLUS. Lima is 30 miles away from NK. There are hundreds of well rounded students in the Lima School District for this woman to write about. Granted, Tori is special and truly exceptional, but....

How did this writer even hear of Tori? All of the things listed in the article are things local to the NK area.

Again I'm not taking anything away from Tori. I like her, Jaz is happy for her to have an article written about her, as I am. Thanks for posting it, otherwise I'd never have seen it.

I just don't think this article was an objective "hey let's write about a great student" thing.

Personally I'm happy Tori got the ink. I tried to talk her into applying at Yale and following Jasmine there. It saddens me that she's going to put off school for a year like that. God can teach her the same "whatever" at college that He can teach her wherever she goes on the "outreach program."

Tori's taking a year off to "to spread the word of God through her church" will not bode well on a college application. Few, if any colleges give scholarships for church participation. I'm thinking it will pretty much kill her chances at going to a lot of schools, probably cost her thousands in lost scholarship opporunities.

Edited by HCW