GreaseSpot Cafe

Press Release for the oilMD

fortunateone

http://www.pr.com/press-release/4922

Aromatherapy: New Tool for Fighting Post-Surgery Nausea & Vomiting by Integrating Medical Aromatherapy & Anesthesia Using Essential Oil Of Ginger, Zingiber Officinale

After surgery and anesthesia many people get nauseated and vomit, which is a major source of patient dissatisfaction and expense. The oilMD is a board certified anesthesiologist who has integrated the technique of combining aromatherapy with nasal and cutaneous absorption of essential oil of ginger at the time of surgery to prevent two dreaded complications of anesthesia; postoperative nausea and vomiting (PONV).

Aromatherapy: New Tool for Fighting Post-Surgery Nausea & Vomiting by Integrating Medical Aromatherapy & Anesthesia Using Essential Oil Of Ginger, Zingiber Officinale

Scottsdale, AZ, December 19, 2005 --(PR.COM)-- Aromatherapy is a new tool for anesthesiologists in managing post-operative nausea and vomiting (PONV). Applying diluted essential oil of ginger root to the wrists and face mask can reduce the ill effects of anesthesia, as well as patient anxiety, according to Dr. James L. Geiger, who is doing business as the oilMD.

"I am much more optimistic for my patients now that I am using oil of ginger, having determined about a 30 percent decrease in the incidence of nausea in patients at high risk for PONV during recovery from anesthesia," said Dr. Geiger. "In my experience, problematic nausea has gone way down and patient satisfaction has gone way up," he said.

The problem of nausea is so troublesome for patients and hospitals that special protocols are utilized to aid in the management of PONV. The oilMD has published an article describing his clinical treatment series in the International Journal of Aromatherapy, Ginger, Zingiber officinale and Anesthesia, which explains the science of essential oils at the cellular and clinical level. Dr. Geiger said he would like to see more clinical investigation to make oil of ginger part of the multi-modal management of PONV.

Integrative services are becoming more available as certain facilities and more open minded doctors are obtaining advanced education in integrative therapies like aromatherapy.

"Integrative therapies, including aromatherapy, are an important part of the healing experience for our patients at Banner Desert Medical Center," said Rhonda Anderson, chief operating officer. "Aromatherapy is beneficial in helping with relaxation and stress reduction, which is important during hospitalization and for general health and well being."

Why does something as simple as ginger work to prevent and treat nausea? The special preparation of CO2 distilled oil of ginger contains gingerol and shogaol. These are the natural chemicals found in the ginger root, which can prevent nausea related to anesthesia, chemotherapy, motion sickness and pregnancy. The essential oil made from ginger root is strong natural medicine for the nausea pathways in the body.

Go to www.oilMD.com for oil of ginger and other essential oil products researched and designed by the oilMD to provide women and athletes with distinct physical benefits naturally.

Thanks for the tip...oilMD, huh? (Are we related)?

LOL! That's what I thought when I saw the topic. So Cinnamon helps with cholesterol, eh? I may have to start adding that to my diet.

I LOVE fresh ginger and cook with it all the time. That's a neat article. Thanks for sharing it, FortunateOne.