GreaseSpot Cafe

Just for Today

Shellon

JUST FOR TODAY, I will live through this day only. I will not brood about yesterday or obsess about tomorrow. I will not set far-reaching goals or try to overcome all of my problems at once. I know that I can do something for 24 hours that would overwhelm me if I had to keep it up for a lifetime.

JUST FOR TODAY, I will be happy. I will not dwell on thoughts that depress me. If my mind fills with clouds, I will chase them away and fill it with sunshine.

JUST FOR TODAY, I will accept what is. I will face reality. I will correct those things that I can correct and accept those I cannot.

JUST FOR TODAY, I will improve my mind. I will read something that requires effort, thought and concentration. I will not be a mental loafer.

JUST FOR TODAY, I will make a conscious effort to be agreeable. I will be kind and courteous to those who cross my path, and I'll not speak ill of others. I'll improve my appearance, speak softly, and not interrupt when someone else is talking. Just for today, I'll refrain from improving anybody but myself.

JUST FOR TODAY, I will do something positive to improve my health. If I'm a smoker, I'll quit. If I'm overweight, I'll eat healthily — if only just for today. And not only that, I'll get off the couch and take a brisk walk, even if it's only around the block.

JUST FOR TODAY, I will gather the courage to do what is right and take responsibility for my own actions.

I think this is from Alanon, but so applicable to everyone/thing/where

JUST FOR TODAY, I will live through this day only. I will not brood about yesterday or obsess about tomorrow. I will not set far-reaching goals or try to overcome all of my problems at once. I know that I can do something for 24 hours that would overwhelm me if I had to keep it up for a lifetime.

JUST FOR TODAY, I will be happy. I will not dwell on thoughts that depress me. If my mind fills with clouds, I will chase them away and fill it with sunshine.

JUST FOR TODAY, I will accept what is. I will face reality. I will correct those things that I can correct and accept those I cannot.

JUST FOR TODAY, I will improve my mind. I will read something that requires effort, thought and concentration. I will not be a mental loafer.

JUST FOR TODAY, I will make a conscious effort to be agreeable. I will be kind and courteous to those who cross my path, and I'll not speak ill of others. I'll improve my appearance, speak softly, and not interrupt when someone else is talking. Just for today, I'll refrain from improving anybody but myself.

JUST FOR TODAY, I will do something positive to improve my health. If I'm a smoker, I'll quit. If I'm overweight, I'll eat healthily — if only just for today. And not only that, I'll get off the couch and take a brisk walk, even if it's only around the block.

JUST FOR TODAY, I will gather the courage to do what is right and take responsibility for my own actions.

I think this is from Alanon, but so applicable to everyone/thing/where

Shellon,

What a great way to start the new year.

Yes this is "recovery" related AA NA Alanon and others use this in one form or another.

May I add the Prayer of Saint Francis of Assisi at this Link

Happy New Year.

Seth

I don't have any words of wisdom for the New Year so I borrowed these from Raf's Board. I thought they were admirable goals and worth repeating. They are from last year just six months before Dovey passed away. Live each day like it was your last.....it may be.

wytedove44

Do you make resolutions and keep them? forget them after, or never make them.

I myself don't make any except one, to live another year and hope along the way I can help or bless someone and try not to hurt anyone in either words or deeds. sometimes I blow the help or blessing someone and if I do it's usually by accident or my rather dry sense of humor that only my brother understands. So if I forget please forgive me. All in here and G.S. Cafe are my best and mostly only friends.

Love to all, Dovey

"When the tough get going the Doves fly ahead"

Lord love a Dove

Edited by WhiteDove

I thought it some great words too! I never make resolutions because I know I won't keep them, so I like the 'just for today' part.

Indeed, Dove, we do never know if we even get the next minute; good to live as if we might not.

Much simpler and I can do this minute, this day.

Well Shell and Dove,

My decision for one day has not lasted, I guess I am not great at keeping a resolution of this sort .............. I find myself being a bit hurt and disapointed right now.. Regardless I am going to try to just get over my hurt and disapointment and move on today.

....... I think I'll go for a walk though ...... we don't have an around the block but I have a half mile road I live on to make it to the rock road. The road is covered in snow and ice now we could ice skate it. Its quiet no one else lives on it and its a peaceful, beautiful walk. Lots of snow on the tall trees and D always likes trying to find the rabbits and the ptarmigan this time of year because they have turned white and blend into the scenery. When Hubby awakes today he said he would go for a walk with us, so we will wait for him.

.......It always cheers me up to go for a walk where I live ......... it beautiful here. This end of the Valley is extremely gorgeous ........

Digi