GreaseSpot Cafe

Installing a car radio

bowtwi

I have a teenage friend that is installing a radio into their first car. I know nothing about it at all. The box the radio came in says it's for a Ford Tempo, which they have. He has been able to match up all but 3 wires. There are 3 more wires coming from the car than come from the radio.

We've been all over the internet looking for a diagram for a 92 Ford Tempo radio wires, but no luck. Does anyone know off the top of their head what one does in such a situation?

Did you happen to get the installation kit with said radio? That would probably tell you if you need to do anything about those wires. Just don't turn the radio on without the speakers attached. More than likely, you'll blow it up (figuratively).

I know this from personal exp. :biglaugh:

Edited by Sushi

Here is the color code for a 93 Ford Tempo 4 door 4 cyl automatic. The first color is the wire color, the second color is the stripe.

First plug:

Battery / Memory Green/Yellow

Ignition/Accesory Yellow/Black

Ground Black/Green

Illumination Blue/Red (The illumination on the stock radio is a seperate wire)

The orange/black wire on this plug is a ground wire, also. But the Black/Green was larger.

Second plug:

Left Front + Orange/Green

Left Front - Blue/White

Left Rear + Pink/Green

Left Rear - Pink/Blue

Right Front + White/Green

Right Front - Green/Orange

Right Rear + Pink/Blue

Right Rear - Black/Pink

Don't know what year your friend's Tempo is, but I found the above by googling Ford Tempo Radio Schematics. Good luck. :)

Perfect! Thanks so much!

He didn't get an installation kit. He just bought a car stereo with cd player. I was with him when he got it and asked if he needed anything else to go with it, like new wires or something, but he thought the new package had all he needed.

This color chart seems to include the seemingly extra wires he found. Woo hoo! I've printed the chart and he's taken it out to the garage. (He's working on this in my garage. We thought this would be a relatively simple undertaking about 5 hours ago!)

Now to find the fusebox so he can change a fuse too.

First cars are such fun - I almost forgot how that was...

Again, thanks so much! I had googled installing car stereo and car stereo wiring, stuff like that. You came up with a better chart than we did, by far!

It's a 92 Ford Tempo.

Edited by bowtwi

:dance: All is well. All 4 speakers work and the kids are on their way home. Thanks so much! I'm curious about your personal experience with blowing up a radio - was it a new one? Hopefully it was your own...

Again, thanks to both of you - your help made all the difference!

Good Gawd ~~~ this is taking me back 30+ years!! :D

I usta have an old 66 Volkswagen (beetle), and that was the last year they made them in 6 volt, vs. 12 volt.

I wanted a tape player (cassette) in it ---so I installed it myself, but had to go to an electronics store (Radio Shack -- I think), to get the proper *adapter* to convert the 6 volt battery, to 12 volt cassette player.

Somehow I got it to work. Gotta have tunes -- don't cha know!!!

:biglaugh: