GreaseSpot Cafe

Networking an iMac G3 w/ X OS & a PC w/ Win2K OS...

ChasUFarley

First, some info about the hardware:

iMac G3 with X OS (location: first floor of house)

PC - HP Paviliaion a5xxe with Win 2K OS (location 2nd floor of house)

HP Color Printer hooked up (slave) to the PC (next to PC)

Both are hooked to the internet via a NetGear Wall-Plugged Ethernet Extender Kit (patch cord from the router runs to a port that plugs into an outlet with another cord going from the router to the cable modem. On the upstairs level, a patch cord goes from the PC to another outlet unit - the electrical wiring in the house works as the network connection.)

How can I hook up the PC and the iMac, please? I also want to also set up the printer to be the only printer we use.

I've done some reading on this already, but haven't found a good resource yet that just walks me through it.

By the way, I am loving the little iMac - smart little computer!

Thanks for your help!

On the iMac go to the Apple on the menu bar and pick System Preferences then pick Sharing

Under Services, check on Personal File Sharing, Windows Sharing, and Printer Sharing.

On the Windows machine, in My Computer right click on the C drive and pick sharing and security and Share Drive As.

On the Mac, open a finder window and click on Network. That should yield a folder called Workgroup double click that and you should see the Windows C drive.

If not email me and we can walk through some other stuff

Edited by pawtucket

• 2 weeks later...

In case y'all were wondering about the outcome of this (yeah, I'm sure some of you are just losing sleep...) this was a no go...

Seems I have XP home - not professional - on my PC.

AAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!

So, I did a quick, easy fix.

Got hubby a printer for the iMac and a flash drive in case we need to share files.

The home network is not an option... (I'm about sick to death of Windows by now! AAAARRRGGGHHH!. Again.)