Gotcha!

markomalley

Source: Boston Herald

Date: 14 Feb 2005

Gotcha!: TrueDater.com lets users debunk dating service profiles

By Rochelle Stewart

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

He loves her. She loves him not.

Sonia Paz, a divorced 33-year-old single mother, jumped into the online dating scene about two years ago.

“Being a single mother, I didn’t have the energy to go to a bar or club,” she said. “So I figured I’d post an ad (online). I got a response and it was great.”

She dated and even met someone she fell hard for. Though she dated him for more than a year, she said he remained aloof and she felt as though she didn’t know him very well.

When she mentioned this to him, she said he would respond with “cutesy” answers that she “bought because (she) really wanted it to work out.”

But in the end, it did not.

Then a friend told her about TrueDater.com.

TrueDater.com is a free online dating review and community Web site that connects users from popular sites to share information and review truthfulness of dating profiles. Recently, TrueDater.com celebrated its firstanniversary and expanded its service to include truth reviews for users of eHarmony and MySpace.com. The site also lets you view or submit truth reviews for users of Match.com, Yahoo Personals, hotornot.com, planetout.com and blacksingles.com. According to TrueDater.com spokesman Jamie Diamond, membership has grown more than 50 percent in the past six months.

Paz signed up and entered a truth review about the man she had been seeing.

“I didn’t post anything mean, because you are not allowed,” she said. “But I did say that I didn’t think he was being honest. I also said when I asked him direct questions, he wouldn’t give me direct answers.”

Not long after, Paz noticed that another user had submitted a truth review about the same person. TrueDater.com allows its users to e-mail one another, so Paz contacted the other poster, and learned her former fling was not who he said he was.

“Turns out that not only was he married, but he has two kids,” she said.

(remainder snipped)

For those who are in the market, this might be a really useful tool to verify who it is you've met via that online service.

This reminds me of one of the skits in "Amazon Women on the Moon" (a classic comedy film, those who don't know). Steve Gutenberg makes a date with Rosanna Arquette. When he gets to her place, she asks him for his driver's license and a credit card. She runs them through a machine and gets a printout of all the dates he's had in the last year. The results are horrifying enough for her to send him away.

Maybe the movie was just a little ahead of its time! :)

George

Edited by GeorgeStGeorge