GreaseSpot Cafe

home business ideas wanted

zoltan

I am looking for an honest home business that doesn't involve vitamins. Anyone?

What kind of skill sets do you have? What kind of contacts do you have? What kind of startup money do you have? What kind of other capital (property, resources, etc.) do you have?

Love to give advice, but need some more information in order to base that advice?

BTW, welcome to gsc

What kind of skill sets do you have? What kind of contacts do you have? What kind of startup money do you have? What kind of other capital (property, resources, etc.) do you have?

Thanks for your offer to help. I have a BS in computer science, my own web server, an ebay account, 20+ years in home sales, and probably can scrounge up a couple hundred bucks.

I like the ebay example. A guy rented a house from me one time who made a full time living off ebay (about 60K) he left when he had enough to buy his own house.

I've worked from home as a remote-control CEO running a company 1700 miles away. www.TheSmallBusinessCoach.com/blog for more details.

At the other extreme I know people who've tried many home businesses and not made a dime. It's more about the business than the location. And a business depends on a customer. So it's nice to think of something you can do well, and do at home, but if you can't sell it to enough customers it won't be a business.

Most of my experiences with home businesses that fail it's because people put more emphasis in doing something from home than doing something they can sell and customers value (that happens to be done from home).

So think of what you can do for customers (at home) rather than the other way round. Good Luck

Thanks for your offer to help. I have a BS in computer science, my own web server, an ebay account, 20+ years in home sales, and probably can scrounge up a couple hundred bucks.

Something that you could do with that skill set is professional services -- in other words, consulting. Particularly if you live near a medium/large metropolitan area. Those services could include helping businesses with their web presence, security audits, IT system integration, and so on. It might involve a little bit of time away from home, but most of the work can be done on the computer and/or on the phone in your home office, establishing contacts with vendors and potential customers. If you are doing it by yourself or with one or two others, you will be able to get a lot of assistance from the Small Business Administration (including financial assistance if you can write a decent proposal and have a good business case).

The nice parts about that kind of business are as follows:

- Your web server becomes tax deductable as a business expense

- Your bandwidth becomes tax deductable

- Your home office becomes tax deductable (not the whole home, but the office)

- Your phones become deductable

- Your car becomes partially deductable

- If you incorporate, you can structure your income so that almost none of it is taxable for income or FICA

- etc., etc.

Consulting is always in some kind of demand...depending on your imagination

(btw, I have a teaming partner who is an 8a...he works from his house in SC and flies up to DC as required for meetings, but that is only about once every 3-4 months...so it is not unrealistic to consider that)

With your credentials you're a great candidate for a web based business. I've just started one and already i'm ranking number one for my specific keyword searches in Yahoo and MSN (google is sure to follow but takes a little more time).

You can check out my site here... www.michigan-proficiency-exams.com (I haven't started monetizing it yet but I will when I have a few more pages up (around 50 or so) at the bottom of the page there is a link that says "powered by sitesell" press on it and you will end up at Sitesell.com... a great place to learn about doing business on the web.

Good luck.