GreaseSpot Cafe

Go-Karts

Cowgirl

When I was growing up, we had homemade go-karts, we'd race down some pretty good slopes, it was a blast!! Eventually we graduated to a go-kart with a lawn mower engine, talk about awesome!! Anyways I was thinking about starting a go-kart project with each of my boys, just real basic to begin with. Does anyone have any experience or ideas when it comes to building them, nothing fancy mind you, four wheels, a flat body with some sides, steering wheel or the rope that turns the wheels, you know that kind of thing.

Any suggestions would be welcome!

Thanks

Cowgirl

Cowgirl, I love gokarts!!! Whenever we go anywhere there are gokarts, I have to ride. I usually beat my husband due to the fact that he weighs about 100# more than I do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One time my nephew (he was 6 at the time) visited us in AR, and we had a local track. Hubby, Levi, and I had so much fun. I have pix and a video of some of it.

My dad built one when I was a child. He was a welder, so it was the real deal, but I have no idea how he did it. Perhaps someone will have some info for you.

That looks more like a car than a gocart!

We had exposed chains and gears and unchartered territories...cliffs and sharp rocks

I doubt those wheels on yer ideal gokart will do more n 5 mph before melting that pic looks pussified

;)

Edited by herbiejuan

Well, you just get some tires and paint and it's cool as hell! Great idea, cowgirl! My princess would love to do a project like that. I did the Pinewood Derby gig with bow jr, so might as well. Besides, she loves go karting! She had a blast at rascal's littlel piece of heaven, her first go kart experience. :dance:

You've inspired me - thanks!

Herbiejuan........pussified???? Lol!! I want it simplified!!!

Act2 and Bowtwi, you're thinking like me, just some good ole' tires and some paint and some of that duct tape to keep it all together, can't get much simpler than that!!

It's the guys like WhiteDove, Goey and Herbiejuan that want to add all that fancy stuff and turn it into a man's go-kart, kind of makes me think of "Tim the Toolman" on Home Improvement! Although Ckeer had a great idea!

In fact I bet if a few of us women here at GS got together, we could come up with quite the go-kart that would leave the men behind in our dust !! LOL!!

Maybe something like this....................

THE MEN VERSUS THE WOMEN

sbd00-8.jpg

image9231.jpg