GreaseSpot Cafe

Jesus the father

The brouhaha over the Da Vinci Code has me thinking about the possibility that Jesus was married.

A Roman cleric was on TV saying that it is libelous to claim that Jesus was a married man. I would agree that it would be libelous to accuse Him of engaging in illicit relations but I don't see how claiming He entered a state of holy matrimony is libelous.

I can't see anywhere in the Law or Prophets where it is required that the Messiah be single.

Can you?

When did Ephesians and Revelation end up in the Law and Prophets?

They didn't. But, according to both the citations previously given, he is married. His bride is the Church.

If the gnostic claim was true, it would make him an adulterer. And adultery is mentioned more times than I care to discuss in both the Law and the Prophets.

(And of course the implication would be that He would no longer be the Lamb without spot or blemish and therefore incapable of redeeming us through His sacrifice)

Hope that clears it up a bit for you.

Clear as mud.

Your implication that Jesus would not be without blemish if he were married is a slap in the face to anyone in the bonds of holy matrimony.

The two are not mutually exclusive.

Read what I wrote again, really slowly, OK?

Let me try it one more time:

Jesus is married. Read that one more time: Jesus is married.

His bride is the Church

If he had relations with another, he would be an adulterer

If he was an adulterer, he would not be without spot or blemish.

Therefore, his sacrifice on the cross at calvary would not have met the criteria of a passover sacrifice.

What part of the above are you having a problem understanding? If you can tell me with which of the above statements you are having a problem, I can explain a bit more (quoting scripture rather than just citing it)and would be happy to do so, but it appears, for now, that you are not reading what I wrote.

(Oh, btw, I am married...and I didn't slap myself in the face)

Edited by markomalley

You're talking about a New Testament allegory.

Revelation says Jerusalem will meet Him as a bride adorned for her husband.

Is He, therefore, an allegorical bigamist?

The Church is considered a singular entity. And Revelation says the new Jerusalem, not the old Jerusalem. There is a difference. Please note Galatians 4:22ff:

Gal 4:21 Tell me, you who desire to be under law, do you not hear the law?

Gal 4:22 For it is written that Abraham had two sons, one by a slave and one by a free woman.

Gal 4:23 But the son of the slave was born according to the flesh, the son of the free woman through promise.

Gal 4:24 Now this is an allegory: these women are two covenants. One is from Mount Sinai, bearing children for slavery; she is Hagar.

Gal 4:25 Now Hagar is Mount Sinai in Arabia; she corresponds to the present Jerusalem, for she is in slavery with her children.

Gal 4:26
But the Jerusalem above is free, and she is our mother.

Gal 4:27 For it is written, "Rejoice, O barren one who does not bear; break forth and shout, you who are not in travail; for the children of the desolate one are many more than the children of her that is married."

Gal 4:28 Now we, brethren, like Isaac, are children of promise.

Gal 4:29 But as at that time he who was born according to the flesh persecuted him who was born according to the Spirit, so it is now.

Gal 4:30 But what does the scripture say? "Cast out the slave and her son; for the son of the slave shall not inherit with the son of the free woman."

Gal 4:31 So, brethren, we are not children of the slave but of the free woman.

That's the thing Goey, to me it's not a deal breaker.

markomalley,

You seem to be saying that the Jerusalem in Galatians is the same as the one in Revelation but in Galatians it says THAT Jerusalem is a mother and in Revelation THAT Jersusalem is the bride of the lamb.

Shotgun marriage?

Mark,

Re:"His bride is the Church..If he had relations with another, he would be an adulterer."

Oh? Even if he were legally married to Mary Magdelene? Where does it say you can't be legally married to several brides? Someone already mentioned that a requirement for some offices in the church is to have only one wife but is that not because that if the office holder had several wives then he wouldn't have time enough to fulfill the obligations of his office? You're thinking there's another reason he should have no more than one wife? Maybe... like its immoral to have more than one wife?

Are there scriptures that say having more than one wife is immoral? Didn't good God fearing men in the Old Testament have more than one wife? And what about King David's concubines? Is that OK, too? And why is it that its primarily the Catholics that are having such a problem with this movie? The Da Vinci Code? Here in Memphis there were some protesters at one of the movie houses on opening night and they were Catholics. Down on their knees saying their rosaries.

sudo

lol...lol...lol...gotta love it.....lol...

there was this bar and there was a protestant, a catholic and a atheist...

ok, ok ,ok, stop! stop! stop!

you're making me laugh too hard! :) :) :).....

Edited by dancing

That's the thing Goey, to me it's not a deal breaker

Ok then, what is the deal maker? -- I mean what good evidence is there that is sufficient to suggest that Jesus was married and had kids?

Don't you think that if Jesus were married to Mary Magdelene or anyone else, that there would be at least a hint of it in the scriptures?

Why do you suppose that Jesus' wife and kids were not mentioned in Mark 6:3 but only his mother and siblings?

Don't you think that the early church fathers would have written at least something about it if Jesus had been married? Yet not a word along those lines.

What about church tradition? Nothing at all.

What we have is a few modern writers speculating on this, some gnostic writings that speak of Jesus realtionship with Mary Magdalene, and a couple of modern fiction novels. Yet no ancient writing, gnostic or otherwise says or claims that Jesus was married or had children. Nada. Nothing.

Yet some folks want to speculate that Jesus was married with children.

It seems to me that some folks just simply "want" Jesus to have been married and have kids, because it somehow makes him and more human.

Edited by Goey

Ok then, what is the deal maker? -- I mean what good evidence is there that is sufficient to suggest that Jesus was married and had kids?

NONE

Don't you think that if Jesus were married to Mary Magdelene or anyone else, that there would be at least a hint of it in the scriptures?

Yes, that's the way I think.

Why do you suppose that Jesus' wife and kids were not mentioned in Mark 6:3 but only his mother and siblings?

I don't suppose He had a wife and kids.

Don't you think that the early church fathers would have written at least something about it if Jesus had been married? Yet not a word along those lines.

Ditto to my "I think" line above.

What about church tradition? Nothing at all.

No siree, none whatsoever.

What we have is a few modern writers speculating on this, some gnostic writings that speak of Jesus realtionship with Mary Magdalene, and a couple of modern fiction novels. Yet no ancient writing, gnostic or otherwise says or claims that Jesus was married or had children. Nada. Nothing.

You are correct, sir!

Yet some folks want to speculate that Jesus was married with children.

They sure do.

It seems to me that some folks just simply "want" Jesus to have been married and have kids, because it somehow makes him more human.

That's the way it seems to me too.

100% agreement.

Nice work, Goey.

coupcake,

My question was whether anyone knows of any Old Testament prophecies that proclaim that the Messiah would never marry.

markomally,

My “mission statement” was referring to a joke I made at your expense NOT that this thread was started as a gag.