GreaseSpot Cafe

Not ME

sogwap51

Someone is signing on and posting as "ME"....or talking as "ME" and it's not me!!! I am going to go change my password. When I went to sign on and go to chat, it told me I was already there. This happened to me before but I didn't change my password at the time. So .... someone is on here that is not ME....I don't understand that tho. And when I've come to look at the board and signed in, it said I was just there (where it gives the time last there, etc. So.....some topics or conversations you have had with "ME"...weren't "ME". Just want to let you know.

Weird.....how in the world does that happen? Someone would have to know your password.

There are times when I have been in chat and leave (GSC) and then go back in, I see I am still in chat even though I am not. That's weird too. But when I log in to chat, there are people there it didn't say was there. It's confusing. But then again, that's easy for me. :biglaugh:

I went into chat and it said I was already there......I look at the "log in" time too and I haven't been there when it says I was. Dunno...but changed my password. My kids all have my password and I have theirs...my son I know got really angry when I was IM'g a friend so blocked them and I didn't know.

The way chat works is this. You use a chat client (java in this forum's case) to access the chat server. If you lose your connection, you sometimes will leave a 'ghost process' which makes it seem as your nick is still there. When you try to go back in to chat, you have to use another nickname until your original one 'dies off' and goes away. If you were in there and lost your connection, then I wouldn't worry about this happening. If you were not in there and this happened, then I would change your password.

When you chat, you have routers between your computer and the chat's server that you go thru. You can drop to a DOS window and do a 'tracert' and it will list out all the routers between your computer and the chat's server computer. If one of those routers burps, you will lose your connection/route and have to go back into chat, sometimes leaving your 'ghost' in the process. This is nothing to be concerned about and happens to everyone. The only time to get concerned is if you were not there and when you tried to enter chat you got the message you were already there.

Dialup users have this happen more often than those on broadband.

Sogwap,

The problem is with how the software works, not because someone is actually logging in under you name.

I have seen it where others have supposedly been loigged in, but when I entered chat they were not there. At other times folks that were actually in chat were not shown as being there.

Again, it's a probem with the software, not with somone using your name.