GreaseSpot Cafe

My "dvd decoder" disappeared!

CoolWaters

I see the drivers on the CD (Windows 2000). They were there before...even after rebooting. I just can't get the system to recognize them or something.

I WANNA WATCH HARRY POTTER!!!!

I've run Hardware Troubleshooter so many times I can do it in my sleep now. Nada.

Help.

Please.

I'm whimpering.

TYVM.

If it's a question of the program that PLAYS the video, there's lots.

I believe Windows Media Player and Real Player (and their copies like "Alternative")

run movies.

Furthermore, some movies (I think the first Harry Potter's one)

include a program that will show the movie as well.

I think it's called Interactive something.

If that's not the problem,

then try this.

Go to each piece of hardware, one at a time, that might have the problem.

Get its name and product# off the machine.

Then go to the website of the manufacturer and download the latest

drivers for that product. Even if that's not the problem gadget, that usually

will improve performance a little. (Unless the pc memory is full.)

Let me know if all of that doesn't fix it.

Actually Wordwolf, the DVD decoder is separate and distinct from those apps you mentioned. And the don't automatically come with them either.

Coolwaters, if you were able to view DVDs before you formatted your HD, then you need to get the software package that enabled you to play them before, and reinstall it. That way you have the DVD decoder so you can watch your movies again. If for some reason you don't have that, you'll need to purchase a DVD decoder package.

Here is a Google link that has links that should help you find one if that's what you need to do.

Hope this helps.

Everything I need is there...and I can see it all...and I've reformatted before with no problems. But alas, this time something went wrong. I don't want to mess with the Bios...and don't want to pay anybody else to, either.

I did get the trial of PowerDVD and that fixed the problem...except that PowerDVD stops responding after 5-12 minutes. Sigh.

My computer guru shop is pretty good about keeping things on hand for reasonable prices, so I think it's just plain going to be simpler to buy a program. Sigh.

What gets me the most about all of this is that I KNOW I'm smart enough and savvy enough around computers to fix this...I'm just not gutsy enough. LOL

The upsided of this is that I now know WAY MORE than I EVER wanted to know about my computer! LOL I found out that I've got some outdated stuff. And I AM SICK SICK SICK of Microsh**!!!!!!!

So my new task is to upgrade...maybe even actually buy a whole computer instead of pieces...? :)

Tell me, please, what is the best OS if one is SICK SICK SICK of Microsh**?

TYVM.

Not as hard as it used to be, .....

..... if yer a computer GAWD, that is.

MWUHAhahahahahahaha........ :evilshades:

:biglaugh:

But seriously, if you do want to chuck Winders (that's what we Southerners call it anyway :wink2: ), then perhaps a Mac is best suited for you. Paw has a Mac, maybe he can tell you more about it.

I am an avid Microsoft XP fan. I can't speak about a MAC.

What exactly is is you do not like about Microsoft?

You are using Windows 2000. You may be missing out on many features available in XP. Windows 2000 was originally designed for businesses. I used if for years. It was a hot OS back then. The best! Until XP which left it in the dust by now. 2000 is 6.5 years old. Time to upgrade. Vista is coming out next year. I have a friend who gripes about his Microsoft Office 97 software (which I believe he copied from a buddy free of charge.) Duh! Office of today is light years ahead of 97 or even 2000.

Same is true of hardware. To make a loooooong story short, throw away old hardware and get new. Solves lot of problems and is easier and cheaper than trying to breathe life into old systems. Money is no object anymore.

My few cents worth.

Edited by igotout

What don't I like about MS?

Let me count the ways!

Really, you said it all when you said, "Same is true of hardware. To make a loooooong story short, throw away old hardware and get new. Solves lot of problems and is easier and cheaper than trying to breathe life into old systems. Money is no object anymore."

To replace the thing that doesn't work anymore is going to cost me a minimum of $50. The pi$$er of it is that the thing worked just fine...very well, even...and there is no reason for it not to work now...except that MS doesn't make its old stuff compatible with its new stuff...AND MS makes sure that trying to get the old and the new to work together is impossible if not destructive. Stupid and wasteful, imo.

What if my home were like that? Say I wanted to add on a room. What if the rest of my house began to crumble once the addition was finished?

Or what if my car was like that? I replace a fan belt and the oil pan falls off?

Now if these things were because of my lack of skill...or, worse, my totally destructive actions...I'd understand. But that isn't the case here.

BTW...

$50 is a lot of money to me.

Unfortunately Cool, the way computers operate/are maintained isn't exactly comparable to cars or houses. Its quite different in many respects.

However, that doesn't mean that you MUST upgrade the whole system hardware/software every 2-3 years in order to basically get the work done and enjoy things. However, for the more high powered and up to date stuff (like high powered gaming or treating your 'puter like a video entertainment center), then you might want to (budget allowing of course) think about updating your system more. And maybe thats where your computer buddy can help out with that according to your needs.

Hope this helps. :)

MS makes the OS. The best one is XP IMO. Hardware makers including motherboard makers can sometimes be to blame. All the components must be compatible.

You can find a brand new computer with XP installed, all new hardware for $300 - $500 today. Check E machines, Sam's Clubs, Wal Mart, etc. Going that route is cheaper in the long run than trying to breathe new life into old compnents. Just be sure to upgrade and keep all drivers current.

For example, this cheapo is BETTER than any Windows 2000 machine fully loaded I paid $2500 for years ago.

$350 E Machine

And for the do it yourselfers, here is an article on how to build a pretty powerful machine which will even handle gaming and other intense processing tasks for a grand total of about $500. There are many such articles today.

$500 Gaming Machine

Edited by igotout