GreaseSpot Cafe

If you go into the woods today

mstar1

..todays the day the teddy bears have their picnic...

---i was just out walking near my house and came across a pretty good size mama black bear and her cubs --

Turned the corner and they were right there just sort of ambling through----They didnt bother me (or I them (duh)) but my hearts pumpin a little faster than normal and I cant get that kids song out of my head.

Sorta cool but i definitely wasnt expecting it, wish i had had my camera with me....beautiful animals although a little unsettling if your not expecting them....

Have y'all had any unexpected enocounters lately?

Edited by mstar1

I can certainly understand the heart pumping, MStar. When I was getting ready to go on LEAD I was hoping I'd see a bear. Then I got into the wilderness and heard some of the large-animal sounds and decided maybe I didn't really want to see one up close. It must have been cool though, since you survived the experience!

I live in the city, so I haven't seen any bears wandering around. But my cousin lives in the country on the other side of Cleveland. A year or two ago he videoed a black bear roaming around in his front yard. He thought it was cool. I thought it wouldn't have been so cool if the bear had decided one of his children would make a nice meal or plaything.

It seems like every week lately there's a report of a black bear sighting in the rural areas surrounding Cleveland. There was also an elderly lady in the area who was badly injured by a deer who got into her house a couple weeks ago. She opened the door to check her mail or something, and it just charged in and then freaked out, kicking all the way. She's lucky she wasn't killed.

I've never heard so many reports of bears coming into inhabited areas until the past couple years. It's probably because of all the big housing developments that are eating up so much of the animals' habitat. They have less and less space in which to live and hence more competition for food and territory.

I'll stop here before I get your thread relegated to the Politics 'n Tacks forum.

Unexpected encounters?? Ohhhh yeah!!

HUMAN BEINGS !!!

I'm out in the woods everyday where I do my running, months will go by and I never come across a single soul, that's one of the reasons I run there is for the solitude, and all of a sudden I come around a corner or the top of a hill and there walking, is a person!! LOL, in my mind I go what the heck are you doing on this trail, like it belongs to me and you're in my space !!

Cowgirl

I can be not too fond of humans myself at times Cowgirl---

Cool pic bow -- that could be an almost twin cousin of the ones I saw today

thought it wouldn't have been so cool if the bear had decided one of his children would make a nice meal or plaything.

I dunno I read up on them a few years ago,There has only been two maulings in my area in the last 120 years and both of those could be credited to human stupidity ( a tourist tried to pick up a cub about 50 years ago-and someone tried to pet one), so apparently they arent all that dangerous unless they are riled up about something.

apparently anyway.

I see them once in awhile but Im usually driving, they are at a distance, or there is something between us,--this was the first time in about 30 years that I had a close encounter

The reports werent what I was thinking about at the time, but in statistically it is probably safer than walking in some inner city neighborhoods that I have been to

You're right, mstar. It's probably safer walking in your woods with bears than in the inner city. From what you describe, seeing black bears around isn't that unusual where you are. But around here, they've been spotted in more heavily populated areas than in years past, which is some cause for alarm.

I understand that under normal circumstances, black bears don't attack humans, but now that they're becomeing overcrowded, they're wandering into areas inhabited by humans to search for food. I don't know if they're as docile under those circumstances.