GreaseSpot Cafe

ABC Made-for-TV Movies!

Does anyone else here recall any of those "made-for-TV" movies that played on TV during the 70s?

What's your favorite?

Can't wait until they start appearing on dvd, if they ever do. Some of the ones I recall:

"Pray for the Wildcats" - something of a "made-for-TV" spin on "Easy Rider" -starring William Shatner ("Star Trek"), Robert Reed ("Brady Bunch")and Andy Griffith as business associates who do an ill-fated motorcycle trip.

"Killdozer" - A bulldozer on a secluded island bumps into an alien-possessed meteorite, from which the bulldozer becomes possessed and goes on a killing spree. I think Stephen King saw this one.

"Duel" - Steven Spielberg's directorial debut.

Paranoid and wimpy Dennis Weaver, driving his wimpy car, verses a seemingly possessed tractor trailer. Great chase scenes. Stephen King must have watched this one too, for anyone familiar with his "Maximum Overdrive".

"Trapped" - James Brolin is mugged and knocked out in a bathroom in a shopping mall, in which a pack of guard dobermans are released at closing time.

Other favorites, "Trilogy of Terror", "Don't Be Afraid of the Dark", "Ordeal"....

Ah, they just don't make them as entertaining and tacky as they used to...

Danny

I remember "Pray for the Wildcats" very well. The fourth member of that motorcycle trip was that superstar of the 70s - Marjoe Gortner. Whatever happened to Marjoe?

Seeing Mike Brady smoking a joint was pretty funny, but Andy Griffith as a hard *** just didn't work.

"Duel" I remember too. Seemed pretty scary at the time. The others I don't remember at all.

One of my favorite TV movies from that time was "Tribes" with Jan-Michael Vincent as a hippie that gets drafted and Darren McGavin as his drill instructor. Thought it was great at the time, but I wonder how it would look now, over 30 years later.

I remember watching a little of "Duel" but turning it off because the whole premise just seemed so absurd.

Then I heard that it was based on an actual incident!? A trucker who was overly "beaned up" or something...

Of course, the key words there might be "based on"...

geo.

Danny,

Do you have that record album, cir.1970, (I think it's called "Silver Throat" or somesuch) with a bunch of different actors (none singers) singing a bunch of pop tunes? The most notorious of those was William Shatner doing an absolutely bizarre rendition of "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds", the most offensive attempt at entertainment I've ever experienced...

geo.

Pirate - wow, I had completely forgotten that Marjoe Gortner was in "Pray for the Wildcats".

Which probably doesn't indicate too much for the present state of his acting career if he's still around.

William Shatner's versions of "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" and "Mr. Tambourine Man" are a hoot! That stuff is originally from his 60s album, "The Illustrated Man".

"Talk-singing" (lol). Still oddly better than "rap" though.

Yes, Geo, I guess I have a weakness for that schlock.

Danny