GreaseSpot Cafe

We're back from camp!

Ron G.

We got back yesterday afternoon and have been recuperating ever since. We had a blast and Andrew earned his merit badges with flying colors.

The pics are pretty self explanatory. The pic of the tent is my accomodations for the duration. Scout leaders only get the very finest.

The group is just some of our troop after lunch on the way. Left to right are Sam, Doug, Andrew (Patrol leader), James and Richard. We came with Troop 111 from Yellville, Arkansas. There were 26 boys total and eight adult leaders in our entourage.

More pics to come.

Edited by Ron G.

Welcome back! You survived the bug spray flame-throwers?

He looks to be a pretty good shot! ...FBI here we come!

Your tent looks like the same one we had down here in the sixties except for the AIR MATTRESS? ...what's up with that pop? ...of course, we had the old wooden army cots... did you say this camp was in OK?

Brings back memories of my Girl Scouting days!! What fun! I think it's just awesome that you get to be there and be involved, too, Dad!

Thanks for the pictures and congrats on raising such a wonderful, talented son. :)

The camp we went to is Tom Hale Scout Reservein Talahina, OK. It's 50 miles east of Mena,Arkansas.

At 58 years old, I went and bought an air mattress and am glad I did. The bad thing is that it's twice as wide as my cot, so it just doesn't work. I found that out the hard way when I rolled off the bed, rolled out of the side of the tent and down about 15 feet through the leaves in my whitey tighties at 2 AM.

I retired the cot.

It was a great trip, but I was sure glad to come home to by bed and my big ol' fan...and, of course, my hot shower!

Ron, what a great dad you are to endure all of that for your son!!!!

I never went to camp or anything. Just went to FL on vacation with parents a few times, then of course, ROA's were a camping experience that I would just as soon forget!!

Thanks again for the pics and the update.

BTW, how can OK be east of AR????

Thanks Act2,

You're right...I made an error in my post. Talihina is 50 miles WEST of Mena.

I can't say I "endured" it since I had a blast. I've always been kinda "outdoorsy" and love camping, hiking, hunting, fishing etc. and do it quite frequently. Those Scout camps are relatively cushy compared to a lot of places I've been. I have 10 acres in the woods here in the Ozarks and sleep outside quite a bit as well as cook outside in my fire ring. The best breakfasts of all are cooked in an iron skillet over an open fire with coffee perked over the fire...and it's a lot cooler outside than in my kitchen.

ROA camping wasn't really camping since you couldn't cook or anything...it was like being in a canvas motel since you were surrounded by other tents and lotsa people.

Anyway, I had a wonderful time and walked up "cardiac hill" (the name says it all) four times this year.

I do declare! Your son looks a lot like you! But where are the red locks?

Anyway - this looks like a blast - glad that you had fun. Tell Andrew that he lucky to have you for a dad.

Gosh, it seems like only yesterday that Andrew was just a little sprout. He's sure shot up and is a handsome young man. You have plenty of reasons to be a proud dad, Ron. And he's a very lucky guy to have a dad like you.

Hey Ron, I grin every time I hear about Yellville, for two reasons. First, I just think it's a hilarious name, like something from a Dr. Seuss book. I picture all the people in town walking around yelling all the time. I also grin because my GGG-grandfather started a newspaper in Yellville back in the 1870s or 1880s.