GreaseSpot Cafe

New Monopoly game uses debit card, no cash

markomalley

A British version of the classic Monopoly board game released this week substitutes a Visa-imprinted debit card for the stacks of yellow, blue and purple play money long hoarded by children worldwide.

"We started looking at what Monopoly would look like if we designed it today," said Chris Weatherhead, a Britain.-based spokesman for Hasbro Inc., which makes the best-selling board game. "We noticed consumers are using debit cards, carrying around cash a lot less."

British players might not be the only ones switching to plastic. Officials at Pawtucket-based Hasbro say they're considering a similar change for American versions.

First offered in 1935, Monopoly offered players a form of financial escapism during the country's worst financial depression. Players become pretend real estate magnates who compete for fictitious property named after real places in Atlantic City, N.J. A British version released that same year featured London neighborhoods.

In the new British version of Monopoly Here & Now, players type amounts into a palm-sized scanner and swipe their debit cards to seal the deal.

(remainder snipped)

Source: ap/yahoo

capt.33f6a820ce0c4ff096ac5ad69154b346.mo

I like it: makes credit card use far more viable and "normal"

I wonder how much Visa will get in royalties!

Edited by markomalley

hhhmmmmmm............

My thoughts as a mother...do I really want my kids to learn how to use plastic?????

(ans) Well....it IS debit, not credit....that's ok

Another thought:

Bring it on - - so much less junk on the floor with all that paper money all over......