GreaseSpot Cafe

A fresh change of pace

I have sort of stayed away from studying this topic in Judaism, because of TWI's misuse of it. Not that I am stingy, but I have a tough time giving money to an organized religion who may or may not put it to good use. My preference is to give where I believe the money is used well.

However, this morning I "bit the bullet" and started reading on this topic. What a fresh change of pace after what TWI did to this topic.

You can read the entire article HERE if you'd like. I'll just post a couple of excerpts:

"Traditional Jews give at least ten percent of their income to charity. . . . . . .Those who are dependent on public assistance or living on the edge of subsistence may give less; no person should give so much that he would become a public burden . . . . The obligation to perform tzedakah can be fulfilled by giving money to the poor, to health care institutions, to synagogues or to educational institutions. It can also be fulfilled by supporting your children beyond the age when you are legally required to, or supporting your parents in their old age. The obligation includes giving to both Jews and gentiles; contrary to popular belief, Jews do not just "take care of our own . . . .. . "

Whenever the charities call me on the phone, i tell them to call Bill Gates..lol :)

Seriously I've wanted to give money to help certain places like this but have lacked in the oppurtunity to give and have 2 college bound kids getting driving licences and insurance rates and cars and yada..yada...

I wonder how different it would have been having real spiritual guidance throughout all those years.

The one who led me to Christ offered me help financially when it was thought it would be a need, but it turned out that i didn't need it.

Currently living within my means and working a lot, which is ok cuz I know what the work is producing.

Edited by dancing

• 4 weeks later...

Very nice Abigail.

One reason I like Catholic Church is that the major outreaches funded by Catholics are hospitals, fresh water, food, clothing, shelter, hospitals, education, self-sufficiency (buying a cow, or a sewing machine to encourage self-sufficiency).

Also I support Voice of the Martyrs (persecution.com) and Open Doors (begun by Brother Andrew of 1955 Bible smuggling -- "God's Smuggler" -- fame)

Stuff like that.

I did not know that the Jews had such a nice way of putting their/our responsibility to keep giving, as a token of remembrance that all that we have came from the Lord.

Thanks, again,

I couldn't read the article. When I clicked on the link, it gave me a 550 error. Is there anyway I could get the address?

The message given seems like common sense. It makes me wonder where mine was during my TWI years.

TWI was (is?) always talking about how God will meet your needs. Why did TWI rely on us, instead of God to meet their needs? If it is truely a Godly ministry, wouldn't God meet the needs of the ministry without demanding the flock give over 10-15%?

Anyway, I would love to learn more about Judaism, and the teachings on giving.

Hi Vegan, I am short on time at the moment. I'm sorry you couldn't access the article.

Anyway, giving is considered a Mitzvoh/Command - but not in the sense that TWI taught it. We give because we want to make the world a better place, not because we are compelled to or because we are trying to earn or cooerce God into blessing or protecting us.

The other aspect of giving, as many Jews today see it, is that because there is no longer a temple to offer sacrifices, we give instead. Giving is our sacrificial offering to God. But that doesn't mean giving 10% to the temple and then forgetting about it. In fact, the synagogues do not pass "offering plates". Instead, it is about giving our time, money, knowledge - whatever we chose to give, to any recipient we chose to give to.