GreaseSpot Cafe

bonzi buddy monkey

sogwap51

I'm trying to help a friend with their computer. They had dowloaded the annoying bonzi monkey. After uninstalling the annoying little bugger, the sound and voice still remain. When the sound pops up (at any time and never the same time) it gives error messages like kernal such-and-such and others. Any idea how to get rid of the last of this annoying monkey?? Thanks

I don't mean to be disrespctful. But the fact is, getting rid of Malware / Spyware is not so easy. It could range from being a simple uninstallation of a program in Add/Remove Programs

Bonzi Removal

to formatting and wiping out your whoile hard drive and starting with a fresh installation of XP.

There are so many variables to consider. Fist if it is anything other than XP I suggest skip to backing up all your data and install XP on a newer set of hardware. Win 98 is sooooo old and dead.

Start by downloading and installing three free programs.

Ad Aware

Spybot Search and Destroy

CCleaner.

After you have installed them, run CCleaner fisrt. Then run the two others.

THe fisrst cleans a lot of junk out of your system on its own. The C stands for Crap Cleaner.

The others are adept at finding and removing spyware.

One other thing I would do if I were you is unplug yourself from the Internet BEFORE running these programs. Don't plug the Internet back in until you are finsihed and have restarted.

This is a start but there is so much more.

There is no choice but to read and learn how to solve these problems. There is no magic trick that makes it easy.

The fact is, the computer is infected. It can and will slow down your computer to a crawl and mess other things up. I suspect you have more problems than just Bonzi. Most people do. Let us know how you fare. I hope it is something very simple. Usually it is not.

Edited by igotout

Keep in mind that if services are running for these malware programs, the removal software will probably not be able to remove them. Install the programs, update them, and then reboot in safe mode. To do this, when the computer is booting up, and you are still on the black screen where it is detecting your drives and such, start tapping F8 and keep tapping it till you get a boot menu. Then select safe mode from the menu.

Good luck!

Rick

These things are what made me get tough with my kids' computer privileges. What they could and could NOT do on the home computers. The Bonzai buddies are just a few of lot of these spy ware programs TARGETED to kids for FREE DOWNLOAD!!! I remember there was one my middle child downloaded because it gave a "cool" cursor.

Not that I'm being any help here but just wanted to chime in. I've usually found removal programs that worked. But several times when I re-formatted and reloaded everything because of other problems, I wondered if there weren't still some remnants of those programs that were contributing to the problems.

sudo

In spite of these things it is possible to avoid malware without even having to use a protective type program running 24/7 in the background using up resources.

It has to do with using programs that place known spyware sites INTO your restricted sites zones in your browser. It has worked well for me.

It almost seems to me that I couldn't get spyware now even if I tried. For example if I tried to go to that Bonzi Buddy site(s) I would be blocked from even viewing the page.

It is still good to be cautious, however.