GreaseSpot Cafe

Fall food Time

likeaneagle

Hey..its almost fall here..any new recipes out there..

Usualy in the fall/ winter I get into the heavier type of foods, must be the squirrel in me,ha!! I store more fat in the winter so my bod can stay at 98.6 during freezing temps...jokin:)

Lately, I have reduced a huge amount of meat out of my diet and also carbs...Im not burning the old calories like I use too.

Altho, I love Olive Garden soups...If anyone has thier recipes..i would pay a million buckos..

Also, I am looking for proven Foccacia bread recipes..Foccacia is fun because you can be creative with ingredients..of course I can make up for the low to no meat with a little carb.

I will add some later..

Edited by likeaneagle

I've been craving potatoes like crazy, when I saw a recipe for Pizza Potatoes on the All-Creatures site.

http://www.all-creatures.org/recipes/pizzapotato.html

I haven't tried it yet, but it looks fun!

I haven't had pizza with cheese for a few years now, so if I were to make it, I'd leave off the bean cream sauce. I'd also throw on alot of toppings. Whatever veggies I had in my crisper, like now, it would be the end of the summer zucchini, bell peppers, mushrooms, and onions. Oh, and olives! It wouldn't be pizza without olives. I'm a lazy cook, so I might just buy ready made pizza sauce. But theirs looks good too. I'd throw in some fennel though.

Acorn squash stuffed with a rice pilaf is a good fall dish. I cook them separate, then stuff the squash before its served.

I'm not a big soup person, but Drty Dzn makes a vegetable stew that's to die for. Maybe he'll give you the recipe.

And of course, anything apple or pumpkin!

Hey CC- your making me miss my home area.........Brats and cabbage..yikes!!!!!!I lived outside Chicago and visited Wisc. for all my cheese and brat needs.......Little Germany, yep it is.. THank you

Vegan--Im holding off on meat for a while....them thier hormones are doing a number on me!!! Im going to go thru a whole body cleanse! I will check that website.:)

THank ye

Edited by likeaneagle

1/2 head red or green cabbage, 1 slice bacon cut crosswise into 1/2 in strips, 2 tsp cornstarch, 2/3C unsweetened apple juice, 1/4 cup cider or red wine vinegar (I prefer vinegar), 1Tbs brown sugar, 1/2 tsp caraway seeds, 1 green onion thinly sliced

Remove wilted outer leaves and cut cabbage head into four wedges

Cook bacon until crisp, remove with slotted spoon and set aside

Dissolve cornstarch into applejuice, stir in vinegar, brown sugar and seeds - set aside

Add onion to hot drippings and cook until wilted but not brown

Place cabbage wedges flat sides down into drippings mixture, pour cornstarch mixture over wedges cook over medium heat 4 minutes, carefully turn over with spatula and cook 6 more minutes or until fork tender and dressing has thickened

Remove cabbage to cutting board - (CAREFULLY) and cut core away

Transfer to serving plates, pour remaining mixture over the cabbage heads and sprinkle with bacon

Serve

That is a nice fall dish Likeaneagle....

Adapted from "Cooking Class Vegetables" cookbook

Edited by RumRunner

Good Grief Charlie Brown!!

Thank you Rumrunner..I wonder if your recipe can be called a diversion of the cabbage soup diet.hmm

Oh goodness, all this cabbage food..no one is gonna love me in my household iffin im lovin all the cabbage tho..ole well..Its gonna be a cabbage week!!

I must try the squashy thing..sounds very yummy. I will let you know!!

This time of year is also great for making minestrone with homemade Italian Bread. I'll have to spend some time writing before I can post it. Lots of stuff - but worth every minute and every ingredient. I always make a large amount so the I can have it the day after as well - when it tastes even better.

Hello Eagle~

We have many favorites here, and SPICY is the usual theme that all but one of us LOVE. Here's a nice soup w/out any meat or oil:

Spicy Arroz Verde (4 Servings * 10 minute Prep Time * 25 minute Cooking Time)

2 1/2 C vegetable broth

1 C chopped green onions

1/2 C chopped green bell pepper

1/2 t minced fresh garlic

1 C uncooked brown jasmine rice

2 T chopped canned green chilies

1/2 t ground cumin

1/2 t chili powder

freshly ground black pepper to taste

several dashes of Tabasco sauce

2 C chopped fresh spinach

1/4 C chopped cilantro or parsley

Place 1/2 C of the vegetable broth into a saucepan. Add the green onions, bell pepper, and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, Add the remaining 2 C vegetable broth, the rice, green chilies, cumin, chili powder, pepper, and Tabasco sauce. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in the spinach, cover, and continue to cook for 5 more minutes, until the liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and stir in the cilantro or parsley.

Serve at once.

Edited by SafariVista

Here's a 'Fun' Autumn Meal~

(This is the quick version)

Creamy Pumpkin Soup

1/4 C water

1 small onion, chopped

4 C vegetable broth

1 16-ounce can solid-pack pumpkin

1/2 C unsweetened applesauce

2 t curry powder

several dashes of Tabasco sauce

1/2 C soy or rice milk

Place the water and onion in a medium saucepan. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, until the onion is soft. Add the broth, pumpkin, and applesauce. Stir to combined. Add the seasonings. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally , for 10 minutes. Stir in the milk just before serving.

*This would be very attractive served in a small baked pumpkin. Cut the top off a pumpkin. Clean out the seeds and strings as you would for a Halloween Jock-o;-lantern. Replace the top. Place the pumpkin in the pan with 1/2 inch of water. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.