GreaseSpot Cafe

Life after living in a cult

pinklady

PinkLady,

Hi. I applaud your decision to come here and make friends and learn from others who have gone through similar experiences.

I believe that GS and Al Anon's 12 Step Program are the best free therapy out there. Why Al Anon? It has worked for me because twi taught us to be co-dependent. Some of us have been all of our lives, even pre-twi, so even if I hadn't been involved with twi, it still would have helped me. The only requirement is to be a friend or family member of an alcoholic. Basically, they teach you how to love yourself first and then how to love others healthily, not co-dependently as twi did. I know that sounds backwards, but it isn't.

I hope to see more of you around here :-)

wb

I was one of the fortunate ones.

In that I still had a family.

My entire family was involved with TWI. My parents and my godparents still believe the teachings, to a degree, but they haven't associated with TWI since around 1991 or so. We still see ex-TWI people from time to time. And a few that are still there. And the ones who are still there try to cram it down my throat.

We were at my cousin's wake in June. Now, this was a really bad time for the family. My younger cousin's heart had just failed one night, and she never woke up. (she was 37) And there were alot of people at the wake. And here comes one we knew from our time in TWI, spewing the same old tired crap.

I watched as my other cousin, (also my best friend) turn beet red. He was so mad, I thought he was going to have a stroke! I grabbed Billy N*, walked him out the door, and tossed him to the side walk, yelling "You can come back when you're not spouting that b***s*** anymore."

He never came back.

That sort of cemented the relationship our family has. I do most seriously consider myself most fortunate.