GreaseSpot Cafe

Top Evangelical Outed

sprawled out

I have to wonder: Doesn't this make the one who has been wronged dependent on the one who wronged him/her? If that person doesn't confess/repent, then the one wronged needs to carry the burden of not forgiving?
for me what you just stated is illogical, that's me. What I have been trying to explain is that we are talking "apples" repenting and "oranges" forgiving. Even though they appear together they really are two separate issues. To claim the offended party can't forgive if the offender doesn't repent is, IMO just as erroneous as claiming the offended party must forgive if the offender repents. Both of these polar opposites deny our God given freedom of choice.
Forgiveness is something that is freely given. ... Not earned. ... Not expected. ... Not something that is demanded because "Gawd-a says so, so you're to do it!".

You get no argument from me on this point.

I used the word "earned" to inadequately explain the concept that the guilty too often think in this day and age, that forgiveness is something they are entitled too because of the circumstances surrounding their behavior.

forgiveness, to me is as others have amply stated, freely given by the giver alone and in no way be construed as an order to "do so or else" by any higher power god or man included...

a gift is given out of heart, not coercion

my interpretation of the 7 X 70 is what jesus said was "his standard" to follow, and freely his choice

and if any followed that option was ok and any that did't was equally ok. his salvation of my soul is not dependant upon the "numbers" i produce or the ones i reach out to. it is my personal relation with him

and how i decide to live the life i was given that counts.

if i want to, if i decide to, i will forgive and move on in life's harmony

i will not be told to do so because so and so said to do it

if my choice is not to forgive, then i will choose and still move on in life's harmony

in the end i will stand before the almighty, alone

to answer for the things i did right and the things i did wrong

and when the final score is tallied, my wrongs will far out-distance my rights

after all, as a human i was born dead and full of sin

then it is up to god and his choice

maybe that's why he sent a saviour

Would there ever have been a letter of apology if he hadn't benn tattled on?

or would it have been business as usual?

would he ever have stepped down as leader of the evangelicals?

or would he just have found more creative ways to hide his behavior?

Yeah, in the evil secular world, it's known as damage control.